1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Secure The Blade On A Long Trip

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danno, Oct 31, 2004.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

I`m new to plowing, (96 Ram 1500 / MM ) and haven`t seen anything about if you can secure the blade in the up position without putting stress on the piston. Is there a way to secure the blade with safety chains, and where would they go?
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If you are going on a long trip I would suggest putting the blade in the bed of the truck. If that is not an option, I would tell you to get the blade up as far as you can and take it slow. Don't forget that the blade will cut down on the amount of fresh air into the grill & radiator so there is a small chance you could overheat if you go too fast for too long.
  3. danno

danno Senior Member

Thanks for the word of warning. Believe me, I found out about over heating when I bought the plow from someone. He moved to Fla. that day I picked it up from his house. It went up and down ok, but froze trying left and right. I drove 1 and a half hours with a straight plow with the temp going to 260.
    There is not a way to secure it with a chain I guess?
  4. Plow Meister

I wouldn't be worried so much about the pump. I would worry more on what the weight of the plow will do to your frame if you hit any series of ruts or bumps at a high rate of speed. Even going down the expressway on a good day will still send the blade up and down. Now, strap that blade to the top bump stops so it can't flap around and you are still creating a lot of stress on the plow mounts and eventually the frame.
  5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Meyers recomends not to exceed 45 mph. when traveling.
    That been said.
    drop blade on 4" object, shorten chain drive off.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  6. danno

danno Senior Member

Does the position of the piston have a greater strength in one position than another?
  7. Plow Meister

Not really.
  8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

How many remember when they use to have a hook and an extra section of chain to secure the pull in a raised position?

Your best bet is to be aware of the types of surfaces your traveling over, especially when crossing train tracks and intersections.
  9. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

Hey crash, I remeber.... oh yeah, that's because I have to do it still today. YAY OLD SCHOOL. Anybody else still running an old conventional? (IE NOT minute mount?)
  10. slade

slade Senior Member

If your worried about the pump you could put the piston all the way down and jack up the plow and hook it on that way. I had to do this one time when my pump gave out on me and I was quite a ways from home.

I a got an old conventional plow, in fact one of them had a decal on it that said "Western official plow of the 1980 Olympics"
  11. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I have a one and 1/2 hour trip coming up that requires me to have plow, basically I'm getting a new truck from a dealership one and 1/2 hours away and they are going to swap my plow, only thing is I have not driven more than 20 mins with it on. I'm kinda curious how my truck will run also. I'll surely take all the information here into consideration.

12. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

If your traveling with it lowered a bit to aid in the cooling, raise it all the way before crossing tracks or rough bumps. It will bounce less in the full up position. If you try holding a weight straight out to your side and compare to holding if up at a 30 degree angle, you'll see the difference. Less strain applied to the truck (and your shoulder)when the weight is lifted and brought closer to the truck (or body). Be sure to secure it if placed in the bed so it doesn't slide and damage the front wall during hard braking.
  13. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

If i am correct you said that you have a minute mount plow?

the extra section of chain that does no lifting that is attatched to the upright section of the plow frame and the a frame. that chain is meant to secure the plow in the upright position. just raise the plow, take the slack out of the chain and then you can drop the plow to take the weight off of the piston.