1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jaclawn, Sep 5, 2000.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

I have a 7.5 Meyers that I am trying to get apart. I want to take the moldboard off. I have everything apart except the moldboard is still attached to the sector.

There are two pins that hold the two together. They appear to slide out, pushing from the center of the plow to the outside. I removed the cotter that was acting as a retainer, and cannot get the pins out.

The pins are loose in the moldboard, and the A frame and sector will pivot. The pins will not budge in the sector. I tried penetrating oil with no success. I tried heating them with a torch, no luck. I even drilled a hole through the moldboard and pin, and then inserted a punch, thinking that I could stop the pin from moving in the moldboard, and use the A frame as a lever to break the bond. THat only broke the punch.

I am going to keep soaking them down with penetrating oil, in the hopes that it will break the rust bond loose. If not, what are my options? I can cut the pins, there is enough clearance, and that will allow me to seperate the moldboard from the sector, but then the pins will still be lodged in the sector.

Any ideas?

BTW- Why didn't those high dollar engineers put a grease fitting on there so this wouldn't happen?
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Pivot Pins

This is why I recommend greasing these pins once a year. Funny, on the smaller (6.5')Meyer plows, there are grease fittings on these pins. I went through exactly what you are trying to do, with the same trouble. Torch didn't help, punch broke. This was on my brother's plow, during a storm too. I used an air chisel, and got them out, but destroyed the sleeves in the process. Even after cutting them open, to get more access to the pins, they still were hard to get out. After I got them out, I had to weld the cuts I made closed. The sleeves were so worn out anyway, that the next day after the storm, my brother took the plow to a welding shop, and had them rebuild the pivots. I was so ticked off after those hours of fun in the rain and snow, that I didn't want to see his plow again.
    What the guy did, actually made the pivots stronger. Meyer sells replacement sleeves, so you can get it repaired. Take it to a welder and have him repair it like this:

You can also drill a hole in the 1/4" plate, and add a grease fitting yourself. Most grease fittings are "self tapping".
    So from a Meyer dealer you'll need 2 sleeves, and 2 new pins, and may as well get new cotter pins too.

[Edited by ChucksChevyPages on 09-05-2000 at 04:23 PM]
  3. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

Well, It is apart, but...

Chuck, thanks for the info. I ended up cutting the pins in half. The moldboard and sector are now seperated, but the pins are still lodged in the sector. I was able to get the pins out of the moldboard.

I am going to see what the Meyer dealer has in the way of sleeves before I start cutting it apart. I also had a thought of having a machine shop drill out the pins, but at what cost, I may be better off (fincinally) buying a new sector.

BTW, The grease fitting was already in the plan!
  4. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Now that you have them apart you might try heating it up really good weld a pin to a rod so someone can hold it with out getting smacked by the sledge your about to put to it and try that.Don't have any one drill it out, that (like you said),will become cost prohibitive.If that doesn't work get suited up and torch it out,but make sure you have leathers and a sheild because molten metal is going to go everywhere.
  5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

You guys couldn't have answered this one better. All i can say is best of luck.

6. miketech

miketech Guest

the meyer pivot pins are a big problem,only if you
    dor not lube the pins once a year.The pins rust to
    the mold board and or the sector when the plow
    trips they break.Two torches and air hammer gets
    them out if the pins and tubes are that bad,i cut
    the tubes and weld on new onces.Meyer makes pins
    with grease fittings for the big plows also i have
    them their in the meyer parts book.LUBE THE PINS
  7. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

It's done

Well it's done. I ended up slicing the tube lengthwise with a sawzall. This opened them up enough to let me push them out with a porta-power. At one point, (before I cut the tubes) I had two torches on them, very hot, hitting them with a 5# sledge).

I then welded the saw kerf, and welded a plate on the top, as Chuck suggested. The new pins fit nice and snug.

Interesting, the MEYER dealer asked if I wanted the pins with the grease fittings or not. They make a pin that has a grease fitting on the end, and the grease will lube both of the tubes. They will be greased on a regular basis.

Why didn't MEYER put those tubes in from the factory? I would gladly pay $35 extra for a plow with greasable pins.

And, for the record, I just picked up this plow used, if it were in my fleet, it would have had poper maintenance.

# 1 PLOWTECH WES/MEYER Junior Member

Glad to know you got them out.I was ready to come over and do it for you.(jk)Not only do we add the grease fittings, we also cut a spiral groove on the pin with our lathe.We have found that the two together worked the best. We TRY to grease them once a month as part of the regular truck/plow maintenance program. Good luck, #1 PT.