1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sectional SnowPlow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forestfireguy, Sep 3, 2010.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I'm really intrigued with this item, whats the big difference between a LD and an HD ? I looked at the website, but it's not great. Also We're buying a 2.5-3 Yard Hyundai loader will this handle either an LD or an HD?

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The HD's are taller and probably weigh a little more due to the height difference. All the video's I've seen are just the LD's even on a larger loader. I'm ordering a 12ft and a 8ft both LD's

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I've got the HD and love the thing!..... I believe it weighs over or close too 1000 lbs more then the LD's..... that loader will push a HD No problem.... a heck of alot more durable and worth the extra $. Go with the HD and be done with it..... JD Dave didn't like his LD's ... PM him for his insite

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Will do guys..thanks for the info and I will PM Dave, we are on a budget unfortunately, having just dropped 40K on the loader, we have 6700 for a pusher.......I doubt the big boss will go another 1000 for a better pusher. Whats the deal stacking with these unit, I seem to remember some issue going around on here?

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I run a 14' HD on our 740, no issues pushing it, I believe from what I was told you could run a 16' rubber edge, & because of the steel cutting edge (less friction) you could even go up a size. They are heavy my Bobcat will P/U our 14' Protec Backhoe model with out flinching, the Artic doesn't move. Our loader is in the shop so the pusher is still where I uncoupled it.
    With stacking the operator NEEDS to be extra careful, you have to remember the moldboards are mounted to rubber blocks & there is no stop, so as you stack that weight ends up pulling on the blocks & they break (over $ 50 ea.). I told my operator NOT to stack with it.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Only thing I read was the rubber blocks were breaking on older units, ones without trip edges from pushing into piles too hard. I guess you have to be a bit easy on it when going into a pile.

7. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

The HD units are taller and heavier than the LD units, Your loader would have no problem pushing an HD unit, There is a bit of a learning curve using the Arctic VS rigid pushers. PM me for more details.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The rubber blocks break on the new style LD's not alot but they do break. My guys aren't animals either. I'd go with a HD or buy a different make of steel trip. IMO if I can't use a pusher to stack I might as well not own it. I won't be buying any Arctic Sectional pushers, the guys all favour the Horst Snowing. JMO

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I totally agree!

But I'm curious....is this a problem that guys are seeing only with big loaders/tractors, and not with skid steers/smaller equipment (under 12k lbs)??

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Our tractor weighs a tad less then 12,000 lbs and I think Arctic states LD are good for under 18,000 lbs.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I see.....thanks.

12. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Whats your reason for not liking the sectionals?

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Durability. I think the LD's are meant for skids. If I had of purchased HD's my thoughts would probably have been different. They advertise LD's for 18000 lbs and under. It should say 10000 lb and under.

14. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I have had no problems with my HD... See pic below... no problem stacking... with the heavy wet stuff you do have to pay more attention but they can handle it no problem