1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Second truck ?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Snowaway, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

So if you guys were going to buy a second plow truck, a beater like less than two grand? And you were going to get workmans comp, add the truck and driver to your insurence and GL policy? Let say you wanted to pay him a percentage so he would be a motivated go getter. What percentage would you pay him? Gross or net? Waddya think?

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

How much would that 2 grand beater cost you in up keep up there in AK? second how much work would this guy be doing? If its ur truck you pay him by the hour, If you dont trust him to work his butt off for his hourly rate i wouldnt trust him to get the work done in the first place. He could possibly make 50% of gross of what the truck makes. even that number might be a bit high. tax, ins, upkeep, gas, replacement, o and profit i almost forgot that

3. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Ok upkeep I don't know, he is pretty easy on equipment and a decent mechanic. but with a truck like that he breaks it he would be out of a job i guess. He would mostly be doing call in work, some shoveling, burm removal, and a lot of trolling (trolling can work pretty good around here).

4. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I wouldn't put a $2k truck out to do snow removal, you will spend more time and money fixing it than plowing with it. Pay him a good hourly rate or per push set rate (percentage of what each drive costs). The problem with giving him a split of per push is when he is 'trolling' he is pricing the job on the fly, if he knows what he's doing and is honest with you it will work out fine, if not...? I would tell him to take the name and address of the 'trollee's' down, give them a deal and then you could follow up with an ageement for the rest of the season, that way you can build a 2nd route for him to look after. I like to know my costs and if your second truck has a dedicated route you know how much time and money you can expect with each event. BTW my guys get paid hourly, I know how much time it should take them to finish their routes.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008