1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

second pass

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by james731, Dec 27, 2004.

1. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

i was wondering how you guys bill your customers in regards to the second pass through.

the way i have been doing it is 2-6" is x$ then 6-12 is 2x $ 12-18" 3x $ and so on

i also heard of people billing like this 2-6" say $100 6-10 would be an additional 75 and every additional 4" is an additional 75.

i was wondering how you guys do your pricing
  2. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Thats pretty much the way I've been doing it James. Only I increase by 60% of the previous increment.
    If I bill a customer at 3"-6" = $30.00 then 7"-11" = $48.00 and so on.
    This is all people my market will pay. I wish I could double in each bracket.
  3. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I do per increments also. With the 2nd, 3rd, etc. increments I add in multiple trips b/c more than likely I will visit multiple times in the bigger storms. I also like to have what I call a blizzard clause. Basically, if the storm is over 12" (or whatever amount you choose), I go to a per visit price in which you are billed hourly. This will help b/c in "blizzards" we are spending more time stacking and moving snow.

In addition, some people do a "per year/season" cost. In which for X-dollars they perform all snow plowing. Usually the only variation/fluctuation in the price would be amount of material (i.e. salt) used during the storms.
  4. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

thanks for the replies guys

im probably going to reduce the the second visit, but in doing that im going to eliminate my clean up visit that i have always done as a curtesity (cleaning up snow drifts etc)

in the past i have always doubled the price but if i bill once i come 2 times and if i bill twice ill come 3 times just to ensure a good job. if their complaining about the second visit being too much then let them pay for the third visit that they always ask for usually the next day or sometime after the storm
  5. somm

somm Senior Member

We size it up and they get one price per push. This is because we get a "no snow" winter around here every 5-6 years, and like the whole town is hoping for it this year, lol!!

Pushes reoccur regularly every 1-2" throughout any snow event. We get 1-5" snow events around here, you obviously get alot more, but make sure they understand that repeat plowing(s) as necessary are needed to keep their roadways clear and safe.

Don't be nickled and dimed by the cheapo's that say the "come back after the storm is done" crap.
    Its not worth dropping your transmission for any account!
  6. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

On my Per push customers, I visit them every time the trigger is tripped. In other words, if there is a 6" storm and the customer wants there trigger set to 2", I may visit up to three times and charge the same for each visit. If something occurs on my route that prevents me from circling back after an initial visit, they may only get two visits. etc..... you get the idea. There is no such thing as a clean up visit to charge less for. This also creates a stronger case to do the seasonal contract for those customers on the fence.