1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

second jobs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Acorn, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

Just curious... How many of you have another job other than snow related. I am sitting waiting for the snow considering starting to supply teach on the side

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmm.....

I can only think of ONE guy on here that DOESN'T need another job other than SNOWPLOWING....

His initials are J.A. :D

3. How many of us have second jobs?

Acorn

Did you mean to say "how many of us have 3rd jobs"?

I have a farm and raise beef cattle and worked mostly nights, 18 years at Kodak and then driving tractor-trailer. Plowing has been on and off for 25 years, on solid for last 3 years. I'm not driving this winter so I am going to try to add salting to the plowing and see where this leads to. I was never one to sit still too long. Hope you can get some snow soon, if not keep on waxing the plow, it can't hurt.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I think there are only a couple who rely solely on snow. Not sure that they are posting much here. There's a pretty broad cross section of "first jobs" here.

Even John Allin does more than snow.

5. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

The Snow plowing is just one part of my business we also do landscaping and other handy work . My fulltime job , I am a Firefighter & Paramedic for a local Town . I put in about 56 hours a week there.

6. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

This is my second season without a 2nd job.I finished my leaf clean-ups 2 weeks ago and I'm bored already waiting for the snow. I wish I could find a nice part-time job but not too many employers are willing to have me not show up if it snows. I was working at a place that would let me go if it snowed because they were one of my major plowing accounts but they sold their business. I was thinking of trying a temp agency but I hear that some of the jobs they want you to do are pretty bad.

Razor

7. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

I build houses for a living but when it snows we call it a Framers holiday :D It can be pretty hard building outside when the snow is flying and more is predicted for this evening/tomorrow.

8. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Just 2 jobs:confused:

I work as a Mechanical Designer on AutoCAD full time
    and as there's no over time right now
    I work as a Butcher on Saturdays
    Have it set up with both jobs that if it snows I can be missing

9. citybobcat

citybobcat Junior Member
    from NYC

I'm an operating engineer and when it snow's we don't dig. So I go and plow snow it work's out good for me!

10. Ben

Ben Member

I work for the TSA in the airport. When it snows flights are delayed I will take time off to plow snow. All of my accounts are close to the airport so if they need me i can get back in a few minutes:)

11. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I don't have a "job". I'm self employed. Most of the time I dig ditches, but sometimes I do other things. When it snows, what I do is plow snow.

12. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I fix cars during the day.
    I do body repair and painting.
    Right now "deer season" is upon us here in Iowa. Just fixed a 1998 Chevy truck that hit a nice sized 9 pointer. The owner kept the deer and brought in the rack to show us. He was pretty lucky, It was a monster.
    The deer will keep me busy till we get a little snow and ice.
    Mark K

13. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I also work on cars, in a body shop. I work for my dad and his partner, so the understand when I got to go:D

14. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I have a landscape business and plow snow. I'm realy starting to get bord not plowing since last week and we can't do any landscapeing because we have snow on the ground. It's nice to have some time off to relax but I'm not sure how long i'm gonna be able to relax before i go stir crazy. I hope it $nows agian soon. My Dad builds houses so if i get board i may go do some work for him.

15. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

Full time , year round, landscape maintenance contractor. If I do the math correctly ,the expenses to operate our business professionaly, and legally wouldn`t really give me an option to take a "second job". By the time I invest my time in somewhere else my business would be backed up in several areas and someone would not be happy. Tried it before and it was obvious it was one or the other. We have and do sub-contract a lot of work from larger companies and believe scratching their back is a good thing. But that`s still contracting . We are still in control of the project. A lot of work , or calls have been very good contacts that grew into other work that because we are available Mon. -Sat. full-time. In my case, our small company receives a lot of work just by being available , on call, when they need it done or estimated usually ALWAYS weekday mornings. Question is ; how many contractors, other than myself, have lost jobs because for 15 minutes or an hour you were running equipment and missed a call ? Only to get the guy`s voice mail upon returning his or her call, then later find out someone else got it . That also make`s your day, especially when someone you know gets it and you find out its was a good account. The vibate on my Nextel doesn`t seem to get it. :realmad:

16. MGardner

Your right about loosing work because someone couldn't wait long enough for you to call them back or they got a recorder and hung up and didn't leave a message.

I missed a call on my cell while at the dentist and I called them back within 30 min. and they said they found someone else. Of course it was 3 days after the storm. But what really hurt they are only a mile away. Talked them into calling me earlier next time.

I lost my cell phone 3 years ago while getting in or out of my truck during a heavy snow storm. People don't understand when you tell them you step out of the truck to shovel, clean lights, get fueled up, etc..

:) I wish I could make everyone happy. :D

17. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

Wow!!! I didn't realize how many of you fit in other employment. I also do landscaping in the summer but here that finishes by the end of October. I have 3 kids and after being a stay at home dad for 1.5 months, I'm going a little crazy.

Gotta get busy doing something

18. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Let's see..... Most of the time I am a Flight Technician. I work on and fly all over the world with business jets. When I'm not doing that I have a loose partnership with a friend who has a tree care and landscape company (where I get my plowing sub work). And if there is no business in either of those two places I also do some farrier work.

Needless to say I don't see a whole lot of television....except Sunday afternoons when NASCAR is in season!!!!!

19. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

I have a landscape business, plow snow and work construction. The construction doesn't interfere with the plowing since the owner has his own plowing route and if we're working outside we don't work in the snow anyway. I wouldn't be able to make it financially or mentally (would be too much free time) if it wasn't for the construction.

-Tim

20. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Brewery/Pub owner/Plowdude, what more could you want (A better economy would be good!)

Howard