1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

second gear went missing...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dirt digger, Dec 25, 2005.

1. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

where did 2nd gear go??

drove my cousins 2001 Dodge 2500 with a cummins in it today to get out of the house while family was over. Hes got a auto tranny and said that 2nd gear doesnt work anymore. He sat in the passanger seat while i took it around town, you bring RPM up to 1800 in first gear then let it idal down to 1000 and it will shift past 2nd and go into 3rd. The funny thing is that theres no gear grinding or anything...its almost like the truck forgot 2nd gear is there...i told him i could ask on here, maybe its an electronic issue...an ideas?

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like an electronic problem. Have you tired to drive it with the O/D off? It might make a difference, not sure!:rolleyes:

3. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

check overdrive, and then look into having the tranny reflashed, might help

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

There shouldn;t be any grinding in an auto- period.

It can;t miss second gear- the 518 needs solonoid input to get OUT of 2nd gear- limp mode, when tranny electronics or power to tranny fails is 2nd gear no O/D.

Sounds like it's something else- possible PCM, if it's a gearbox related and it's mechanical it will be a failure of the solinoid which pulls and engages the band for the gear. No gears involved auto tranny shifting so there's never grinding unless you have serious (and I mean Serious) trouble.

aAlso try Dodgeram.org's web boards.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

For future- how about posting your question in only 1 forum? No need to post it here and in the Dodge forum. Anyway see the Dodge forum thread.

6. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

because this is a general help question...ford guys dont read the dodge forum but may have ideas...just like dodge guys may only read the dodge forum

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

but, it can be considered spamming by the mods- seen it before. AND you get incorrect suggestions and advice from Ford guys who know nothing about Dodge transmissions.

The O/D is mechanical and electrically engaged- it is governed and cannot engage below 40MPH. Default is off- springs hold it off, electrical signal to the OD solinoid engage it.

The CTD has a 48RE behind it- beefed version of the 47RE (extra sprag and slutch plates/discs). It is based on the A518, which is the current rendition of the venerable 727 Torqueflite. The computer interface is limited to what it can do to the tranny.

Ford guys won't know that....
    If you want the best Dodge related info go to a Dodge Truck (preferibly Cummins related) forum (dodgeram.org, dieseltruckresource.net, Turbo diesel registry, etc not a Ford truck forum. Believe me, you'll get more useful info in general that way.

BTW when was the tranny last serviced? Who did it?

Most common tranny problems in late model DC vehicles is incorrect fluid- ATF+3 for lockup and +4 for non-lockups (means ATF+3) - check the owner manual- Dextron is NOT acceptable reguardless of the owner manusl claims (Dodge has confirmed it) and most mechanics and tranny shops will use base fluid and add additives to make it 7176 compliant- which it never does. Use Factory Dodge fluid only.

If there has been a while since the last service the bands may be out of adjustment- there is a 2nd gear band. OR the soliniod screen may be plugged with debris (new soliniod pack needed- not cleanable)