1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

second battery ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by General Grounds, Nov 17, 2001.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:confused: Hey guys, i have a chevy with 2 batteries, never understood why? some help, and does this help with using my plow, if so could i add one to my f250?Tony
  2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

You must have the diesel in the Chevy. The two battery set up gives you more reserve.

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

As well as additional reserve, dual batteries give you more cranking power - especially important with a diesel.

Yes, duals CAN help with a plow, but a good hefty single battery and high-output alternator can also work well.

One problem you may run into with installing a second battery is where to put it - I don't know how much room you have under your F250's hood.
  4. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Untill we got new trucks, we just kept a freashly charged battery inside the truck setting on the floor. When the existing battery began to show signs of drainage, we just swapped out batteries. 2 batteries usually got us through most snowfall events. this is cheaper than trying to wire up a duel system.
  5. plowjockey

Good point. I have gone to a battery that is for an ambulance so it has good reserve for extra items.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Two batterie is not that expensive. On older 250's there was room under the hood. I have also seen them put into toolboxes or cases in the bed.

Even my little Toyota has duals. I bought the kit for a diesel Toyota to add the second tray. My other trucks are diesels now so I hav no problems.

I also run Optima Yellow Tops
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Gm dual batterys are an option on all trucks,I 've worked on many gas engines with dual batterys.
  8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Please tell me how you managed to cram two batteries into a 92-97 F 250 HD or F 350. I just don't see how it could be done, even with the 5.8.

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Dont ALL makes of Trucks with Diesel engines have them?? I ordered my truck with dual batteries, and just the other year wired them together, as from the factory, it was a AUX. battery that was isolated. I wanted the increased capacity of joining them together. Battery trays are available for all Chevys, just look for ones with the Diesel engine, then buy some heavy gauge wire and wire them together + to + and - to -.
  10. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I have dual batteries in my chevy too and mine is gas.
  11. plowjockey

I must have had brain fade. I had thought it was primarily for the diesels but I forgot the other option set ups that had it.

12. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Dual batteries

Just had a dual battery setup installed in my 86 K10. It was easy and not that expensive. well worth the cost IMO

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

Geoff , i had dual batterys in my 94 f250. moved the charcoal can that was right behind the stock battery and then bent the bracket down and installed the 2nd battery right behind the 1st one. i set it right on top of the plastic wheel well liner and it did fine for two years however i allways ment to make a mounting plate for it.
  14. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

second battery

i mounted one it the truck box . some welding cable and some "custom engineering" and spent bout 40 bucks. works good though.

Mark K
  15. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

There is a kit out there that replaces your factory battery tray, with a tray that will hold 2 Optima Red Top Batteries, not sure if the yellow is the same size. This kit requires no modifications to the truck from what I have been told.

I am looking for this kit and when i find it I will buy it. The truck will then have 2 optima batteries. I found that when we connected a second battery to the truck, that all the voltage problems went away. The 95 Amp alternator was fine, when you had two batteries with 850 CCA.

16. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I have 2 Optima Red Top Batteries hooked up on my '84 dodge, gas. Also 114 amp alt. Have plenty of power.

Just a suggestion, if you change your alt. repleace the voltage regulator if you have an external one.

17. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Sorry I was looking for a picture of it. Could not find it though. I basically did what you described in the kit. I made my own plate and mounting straps.
    Optima Red and Yellows are the same size approx. I used the Yellows per Optima. They fit in perpendicular to the way the original battery went in.
    Add the extra terminals and cables and you are set. This will make a huge difference on a gasser.
    Another option I have heard is to modify the other side with a diesel intake and put the battery where the second diesel one goes on the driver side.
  18. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff, I posted in another thread a link to the dual battery setup that you are looking for. It comes with two Optima's on a single tray, with wiring included. http://www.wranglernw.com/ They are pricey.