1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seatbelts & head out window

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

After plowing all day w/ my head out the window on the new accounts my shoulder is hurting from the seatbelt.
    I am a faithfull user of my seatbelt especially with all the other crazy's driving arround.
    Yeah I take it off on the larger lots & areas where I have a ton of neighbors.
    Anyone else have this problem. Kinda wondering if I sould get one of thoes fabric things that go on the belt like a lot of old people use?
  2. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I never noticed a problem, and I wear mine faithfully, although I'll leave it off when plowing a big lot. I used to take the shoulder belt and tuck it around behind me, but the one time I wrecked my truck (not plow related), I was wearing the lap belt only. Only time I ever got to ride in an ambulance. Came home with 10 stitches in my lower lip from trying to take a bite out of the steering wheel. The shoulder belt would've prevented that.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Just leave your head in the truck and that problem will go away.
  4. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

My seatbelt use to cut into my neck, I slipped one of those padded things over it and no more problem. I always leave my seatbelt on, I would like to keep my teeth in my mouth as long as I can.

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

The only problem that I can see if I plow with my '02 Chevy 2500HD is the tension of the seat belts. Alot of time when I need to move around or look back, just about every time I do that, the seat belt would lock up and it would take several attemps to release the lock. That happened alot to me when I backed up on the road into my driveway. It would be really annoying and may affect the safety issue because the tension is just too sensitive. What if I am plowing and I have to backup on the busy road and need to double check left and right side, the seat belt would lock up. That could reduce my response time and may afford me from reaching my control. I know it is not a smart thing to do but I may have to plow with just the lap belt on and put the shoulder belt aside. I don't know. I don't have a plow on my 2500HD yet but when time come I will decide what would work the best for me.
  6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Yesterday I ended up swapping trucks with someone for the afternoon and when I fastened the seatbelt I found that the shoulder belt was very loose. He has a bungee cord fastened down along the edge of the seat and the shoulder belt is stuck between the bungee and the seat. It's loose enough to pull the belt, but it won't retract all the way, so there's plenty of slack. I'm not sure I like it from a saftey standpoint, but it solves the problem of the belt being too tight, and it's still in front of you where it can do *some* good.

from NJ

How about a 5 point harness and lots of round blind spot mirrors..
  8. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

trucks have seatbelts?:D
  9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Get some of those seatbelt pads like all the rice rockets have (they usually have Jap writing on them or something like Honda Racing lol)

No more shoulder aches and you will be styling LOL

from NJ

Simpson racing products has a set of them , I was actually thinking of getting them myself.. A little pricy compared to the honda racing ones, but at least they are written in english.. check out their web site it's cool...
  11. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

What are you looking at out the window that you can't see through the windshield??? Do you have one of those hover crafts that plow sideways???:drinkup:

from NJ

13. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I have a set of the licenesed ford racing ones they are hard to find. Ive never put them in my truck but i got em ;) The simpson ones are nice ive seen those before. They give u that Snow Plow 500 driver l ook/.

from NJ

yeah and they make the truck plow faster ....LOL.Especially if you put the simpson decals on the truck or plow too...
  15. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Good responces so far... :)
    Have head out the window on smaller drives that need to be completely widened. Where there's bed's along the drive. When backing up & the mirrors are dirty, frozen, ya gotta turn your head arround sometimes. There is no way I'd be able to sit perfectly still in the truck all night w/o falling asleep.

Thoes Chevy in the seat belts are annoing. WAY to sensitive locking up more so when the seat is reclined. I bet we will see a TSB about them soon.
  16. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

A seatbelt ????? i guess i should have had it on a few times,,would have kept me out of the windshield when i bounced off the curb. I never wear a seatbelt in a "truck", once you roll one over you will understand why i don't. They say seatbelts save lives well i knew 3 people they didn't save.

Got Grass? You should have bought your truck with heated mirrors !!!!!!!!!!
  17. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Head out window??

My best friend plows with me and has his head out the window,I don't know why but he prefers it even in the worst weather there must be something to see out the side.
    He has a cold wet nose but no seatbelt.
  18. NPC2002

NPC2002 Junior Member

I was in reverse once and I decided too turn my head and look out the window and no sooner than I did that I was off the driveway and a my face was wacked with a snowy pine branch. Then I had to plow with one eye for the rest of the day. Try plowing with one eye, it sucks