1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

seatbelts for saftey

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve in Pa., Jan 8, 2003.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

Just wanted to drop a line for all contractors who use skid loaders for snow removal. Be sure you or the person you have running your skid steer buckled up. Christmas day my dad was using our skid steer to remove snow from a private road and hit a manhole fram and stopped the skid steer dead in its tracks. He flew up and slammed against the glass enclosure. He was there for 45-60 minutes before anyone found him. Thought he was going to dye. When he slammed into the door he jammed his neck back and bruised his spinal cord around the C-5 area. He couldn't move a thing but his head. He had surgery to stabalize his vertabrea's. He is now in therapy and is starting to get some movement back. Thank God!! As you've probably figured out by now he was not wearing his seatbelt. I had hit a manhole about 8 years ago did the same thing slamming into the door but only a bloody nose and a cut on my forehead. Since then i have worn my seat belt every time. Just wanted to may keep this from happening to anyone else in this business.
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

steve, thats terrible.

i hope he gets better real soon.
  3. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

he's been improving everyday since the accident so thanks for the reply
  4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

All the best. I hope he get's better soon.
  5. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Hope your dad gets better soon. I have never worn the seatbelt in my bobcat, but after reading your story, I will now. You never know what could happen, even if your not moving really fast.
  6. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Hope your dad gets better real soon. Thank you posting your concern, takes a really good person to look out for others in a time like this.
  7. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I hope your dad is doing better. I had an employee do the exact same thing last year. He did everything I told him not to do. First, wear your seatbelt. Second, keep skidsteer in low range until you get used to it(2-speed). Third, go slow for the first few snow event until you find all the little hazards. He broke his nose so bad it pulverized it. Had to have a few surgeries and was off work for a couple of weeks. It is not fun to have a work comp. claim. I am still spending time on it over a year later. Bottom line, wear your seat belt.
  8. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

hey, I'm realy sorry to hear about your father, thats horrible but i'm glad to hear he's getting better.

i used to run a skid steer for the company that I sub my trucks to now. I'll tell you it's not fun. The machine I ran was a New Holland lx 865 with a 8' pusher, in that machine you have have the seat belt on to work the hydrolics. The problem I had though was everytime I hit a manhole cover, curb or whatever, the seat belt would jam into me. I used to get stomach craps from it so bad that I would get out of the machine because they hurt so bad and I could barly walk, so i started hooking the seat belt on and sitting on top of it. There where a few times that I got thrown into the front door, but it was vynl not glass so i never got hurt. I guess i'm glad i never got hurt and I'm also glad I don't run them in the winter anymore. :D
  9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Steve, I'm truley praying for your father, along with all of us here!!!!

Everyone else, PLEASE learn from this & wear that seat belt!!!
    Yeah, you think your safe being surrounded by all that metal, UNTIL you go head first into it... Your chest may hurt from the belt but think about what can happen and how lucky his father was...
    Even if your plowing in a truck. Yeah your seatbelt will cause a nasty welt, but think about what could happen when you launch yourself thru the window! It always happens at the least expected time. Even when you do expect it, there is no way your body can stand up to such a great force. Most of us can go on with a big a$$ welt, but not broken body parts...

Again Steve, I'm truley sorry to hear about your father & I wish the best for him!!!!!