1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

seatbelt catching...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Jan 22, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

When on both the driver and passenger side (moreso on the drivers side), you go to pull out the seatbelt, it keeps catching like it catches when you slam on the brakes really hard. You have to VERY slowly and steadily pull out the seatbelt to get it around you. It's a real PITA. It's always done it but just now its starting to bother me! Is there anything i can do to fix the problem?

thanks
    mike

this is on a 1997 chevy k2500 4*4 reg cab cloth bucket seats

2. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

my 96 chevy does the same thing on the pass side, what happens is the lube dries up and causes the locking meck' to spin with it and catch
    You need to open the plastic housing and lube it up.

3. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

There are teeth on the side of the cylinder that the belt wraps around, there is a bar hanging from a pivot point and acts like a pendulm, you apply the brakes, the pendulm wants to keep moving and pivots forward into the teeth on the drum and prevents it from unspooling. As said above remove the plastic cover vacuum the 10 years of crud out of there amd lube the pivot point.

4. mcwlandscaping

is there a way to get the plastic cover off without grinding off the rivets that hold it on/in?

5. mcwlandscaping

Without taking the cover off, i hit up both sides with some fluid film and that seems to have helped immensely! Should i still take off the cover and lube it with some kind of grease?