1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seat belts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sven_502, Apr 28, 2009.

1. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Just out of curiosity how many of you guys actually wear a seat belt while plowing? I don't think I've ever heard of anybody that does, but this crossed my mind today.

2. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

I waer mine when I plow but I allso dirt race and have hit the wall at over 90 mph and will allways wear a belt. Was wondering about air bags , do you deactivate while plowing, my old truck dont have them , but my new one might .

3. te snow

te snow Member

Seat Belt

I dislike the feeling of the belt and don't wear it. I always leave the passenger air bag off no matter what season and the driver air bag cannot be shut off, but then again I dont think it would deploy in a collision. I say this from experience of not one, not two, but three accidents. Just got my safe driver renewal the other day. What were they thinking?:dizzy:

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I never wear it. Every time you hit the brake pedal they lock in. So I think it would get real annoying they way you're always twisting and turning when you plow and have to do alot of backing

5. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Just so nobody mistakes what I meant I just mean plowing, I wear mine driving all the time, but plowing in particular I don't because of the backing up and twisting around etc. And until I got my new truck the seatbelt didnt even work in my old one, plus I was stuck constantly so I had to get out every 2 mins anyway :))no 4x4)

6. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

Always wear mine. I have too many tickets and have learned the hard way so now it is automatic as soon as I get in the truck. Doesn't bother me when I'm plowing. And I don't disable the airbag and haven't had any trouble (touch wood), but then, I don't drive like I stole it either.

7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I always wear mine. Never really bothered me while plowing.

I have seen people kiss the steering wheel many times and loose teeth.......it happens more than you might think.

Better to be safe than sorry.....I'm sure many more people will learn this lesson.:nod:

8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I always wear it between jobs but take it off while plowing. Usually keep the window open too.

9. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I always wear mine as well. After a while you get used to it.

10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I never wear mine while plowing becuase it either locks up on my or I have my head out the window. My window is always open. I like the flexibilty of not having my belt on. Any other time it's on. I've smashed my face into the steering wheel a few times. The worst is when you have just one hand on the top of the steering wheel and you smash your face into your wrist. No matter how slow you go, it seels like every bump you hit is huge.

11. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

wear it 90% of the time, if i have a lot where im getting out a lot for random stuff it stays off until im going back on the road.

12. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Always wear mine...lousy dental coverage:dizzy:

13. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I wear it all the time. It does not lock on me while plowing unless I'm going too fast and really slam into the pile. I do not find that wearing a belt impedes my mobility one bit...I can see all around me, can turn and watch what I'm backing up into and of course still use my mirrors for backing up.

14. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I always wear mine no matter what ... I have no problem wearing it while plowing !!!!!

15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I try wear without seatbelt it didn't last 10 min for me so I like seat belt why your stomach hit steering.

I know 1 guy at my old job hit steering and push honk with his pot belly.

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I don't wear mine when I'm plowing, but when I'm driving down the road to the driveways I plow I wear it.

17. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

My belt locks at the moment of a light breeze. I think it has caused me more pain than it's worth. While plowing - no belt. Between accounts I wear it. I feel it honeslty limits my ability to move and see while leaning forward beyound the pilars, backing ,etc.

18. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

If I'm plowing driveways, I won't wear it. In the middle of the night I'll leave it off plowing a commercial area if I'm going slow.

BUT I'll always wear it in a loader pushing with just a plain old bucket on the front. Once you put your head through a windshield after hitting a manhole cover, it sort of sticks with you.

19. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

In a loader plowing snow. i have to agree with the blet

20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Never wear it when actually plowing but wear it on the road ALL the time.