1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonals in a light year... discussion

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mnlefty, Jan 12, 2012.

1. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

First I'd like to ask that we please don't turn this into a seasonal vs. per push discussion, we've been there done that. This is a question more for those that have been doing seasonal for a long time...

What kind of a push back have you encountered the season following a very light snow year? This is only my second year doing residentials almost exclusively on seasonal contract. Last year was a top 5 year for snowfall all-time. This year not so much. Our seasonals are 1" based on approximately 16-17 1" events, around 56" average for the season. This year we have had 2.5 events, and about 10" total. I know there's still a lot of winter left, but it feels like we might be shaping up towards a max of 8-10 events and maybe 25-35".

I know it's location/customer dependent on weather the customer "gets it" or not regarding averages, but how much resistance can I reasonably expect next season? Looking for feedback especially from those that have been there done that on the seasonals in a very light year.
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

You will get some people that are going to complain, the best you can hope for is to explain to them that last year you worked harder then average and that if they stay mulitple years that it will average out. I have had 2 customers that have complained so far, and one that decided to cancel the rest of the year, and I am fine with it, however if a client decides to go off his seasonal contract he is not allowed to resign for the remainder of the season, so if we get any bad snowfalls through jan-feb-march, he is paying the per push price.
  3. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

This will be the first year I'm dealing with this. Typically we dont have a lot of snow anyways but its more then this. Then last year we had 3xs the normal amount of snow. So if anyone does complain, ill say I didnt complain last year? I wasnt asking for more?

I do have a few lots on 2 yr deals so it will average out with them but the others are all 1 yr. One of them didnt want to pay till the first snow. I would still be waiting if I wouldve taken that ****.
  4. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i would point this out to your custoers, what is the chance of having to super light winters in a row, also point out that during a super bad year you don't ask them for more
  5. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

I have the same concern. On the other side of the issue, I went from 30 percent of customers being seasonal last year, to 70 percent seasonal this year. I could see that 30-40 percent of them resisting at renewal time next year, really hope not!! I am thinking about putting together an info sheet that shows snowfall totals for the past 10 years in our area for when I go to renew next year.
  6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I don't expect any push back, but if I do, I just explain that it's an insurance policy. Just because you don't have a car accident, doesn't mean the insurance company is going to give you back your premium, or give you your life insurance premium back when you don't die, heath insurance premium back when you don't get sick, etc. Also explain how last year went, and that you didn't demand additional money from them when we had nearly twice the amount of snow we usually get. Thumbs Up
  7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Come to think of it, insurance companies won't fork over any refund for not having a claim but if you DO claim they won't hesitate to jack your rates...that might be worth pointing out, how it's more fair than insurance since you don't increase the rate when there's snow.
  8. twintreeslawn

twintreeslawn Junior Member

You will never please everyone

It sounds like we are dealing with the same Minnesota winter. I had some people form last year switch from per time to seasonal this year. I'm sure it is based on the bill they received in Dec. last year.... Anyone who complains about use not plowing much, I use the "do have insurance on you car while it is parked in the garage"-analogy many times. And yes you do get the customers that go back and forth year to year. We have a competitor near us who charges a "monthly rate" which covers 12 snowfalls per year. If we get more then the 12 they are bill for the times they were plowed over the 12.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No problem with my seasonal contracts,I even raise the price every year.
  10. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have used the insurance analogy among others in explaining things to my customers, and for the most part they all "get it" when it comes to seasonals...

I guess it's just the extreme nature of the season we're having that's creating that little bit of doubt or nervousness in the back of my mind. About half of my customers are my originals from last year (100% retention, to toot my own horn just a little). I know they will have no trouble with this season... I'm just a little bit nervous about my new customers. Maybe not even so much the seasonal aspect as much as we just haven't had the chance to "win them over" with our service like we did with the near record snow last year.

On the other hand they did call us and sign up with us for a reason this year, so hopefully I'm just overthinking it too much with all of this downtime we're having.
  11. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I guess I don't have a dog in this fight because we don't do seasonals. But, it would make sense to me if you use an average, no matter the number of years, would not a low year or 2 bring that average down?

Or are the low years just concedered a price increase.