1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal vs perpush vs monthly??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NickSnow&Mow, Nov 24, 2014.

1. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Hello again, First of all id like to thsnk everybody for their great advice. As of now im 100% residential and have 24 driveways that are all $425 for the season. First of all people tell me im really cheap I dont feel like im a low baller but am I? I offer a very high level of service. Also In the next couple of years I would like to enter the commercial side of the business but dont know much. I know there are millions of threads like this but first of all How would I even bid seasonal?, do I absolutely have to salt?, also I cannot offer snow relocation. Without salting or snow relocation can I even get any contracts seasonal or per push? I have a lot of questions but thanks for the help, Nick
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

In my opinion. .. you're not a low baller if you're making a profit that you are happy with.
  3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Seasonal is your per push x expected visits. Salt is customer preference. Relocation is easy enough to sub out.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

425.00 per driveway sounds seasonal to me. You don't have to offer salt or shoveling either,just plow and go.
  5. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I have never had a seasonal contract in my 20 years... I have bided on a few the last couple years, guess i wanted to much money..
    Not much driveway experience either.. I would think you could clear a driveway for $50 a push.. So ten times would be $500 then your plowing for free..
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Seasonal is nice if don't snow your making money Last year was my first year having one seasonal Contract. The winter was longer then normal So wasn't much profit from it. So this year the same contact went up. So I'll see this year if there more profit over my per visit lots

This OP doing 425 for drives He lives up north where more snow then down here
    I look up my smallest drive and I plow it per visit up to 8'' for $35 I cleaned it 15 times average of 3 years . At the OP price I be cleaning for $28 if I did it 15 times
    But his overhead isn't my overhead I say
    24 x $425 $10,200 Does sound good in the fall might not look so good come spring time
  7. Brando55

Brando55 Member

$425 would be real cheap around here but I used to average 20 - 25 pushes for driveways when I was doing them. At 25 pushes you would be making $17 per push. Just try and dig up your average snowfalls before you sign to many more at that price.
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

That's good money, if its taking you less than 2min/driveway, and their all right by each other(within 1-2 sq miles).
  10. NickSnow&Mow

yes they are all pretty close abd easy to do. My bigger question is about commercial salting. I know you dont have to in residential
  11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

In Stratford with the LE you are gonna average at least 25 pushes. I have a few competitors here that charge $400 season for in town drives paid up front. They all use compact tractors with blowers and pushers.
    It will take you 100 drives to bill 40k and building up that clientele to make it efficient takes time. The first one here started his pricing 5 years ago has about 150 drives and is already experiencing competition from copycats. All my commercial get salting and push backs with loaders.
  12. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Aren't you like 15? I'd be worried about getting appropriate insurance before I worried about all of that...
  13. NickSnow&Mow

He does 150 driveways solo? Im sure he doesnt shovel at all. There are 3 other guys with simimilar set up to me in town that I know of. Not sure what they charge, I guess that makes me the copycat. I can do a driveway without shoveling in 5 minutes or less. Also I have school cant handle 150 haha.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

He has 3 compact tractors, and does commercial as well with trucks(3-4).
    Something tells me last year he had a rough go with the weather, whereas I did very well. We are friendly competitors.
  15. NickSnow&Mow

Oh i see. Im pretty cool with most of my competetiors too even though im really small.