1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal salt apps

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by boostingst1, Sep 17, 2010.

1. boostingst1

boostingst1 Junior Member

Hey guys, I have read and can't find what I'm looking for. I am in the Cleveland Ohio area and I am trying to see what everyone charges as far as seasonal salt apps would be. I have it narrowed down on the plow side just need to see what you are at for seasonal salt app visits. I would really appreciate the help thanks.
  2. boostingst1

Bump, come on guys please help
  3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Depends on the expectations of the account. Do they want the lot salted before the storm, during storm, after every plow, or only at the end of the event following the final cleaning of the lot.
  4. boostingst1

It would only be done when needed, I was thinking about basing it on 12 apps for the season, just wanted to see what others thought. If you could give me a quick breakdown on what you think for customer wanting salt for the season. My higher end account would be at 50 apps. Just looking for some advice. Thanks
  5. brookline

brookline Senior Member

With what little info is provided. I would say anyway to stay away from season salt apps in a contract. Far to unpredictable IMO. I would push for per visit on salt. Variables to consider: price increases due to shortages, the very hard to predict amount of apps. Ect.
  6. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

oh boy....
  7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I am in Cleveland Market and we salt after every time we plow the lot and if there is a trace we just salt or if it is icy conditions we salt. We salt anywhere from 35 to 40 times in a season. But our accounts dont want any type of precipitation on the lots or walks. U are going to salt more then you are going to plow. You have to think about later in the season with the large piles of snow sitting in the corner of the lots melting during the day into the lot and then freezing again once the sun goes down. We salted a few properties all week and we did not have one inch of snow. It was spot salting but we charge full price.But all depends on what your customers scope of service. Hope this helps.
  8. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

Be careful with seasonal salt pricing. They will call over and over for more salt. We had one priced at 35 apps and salted 65 apps. They wouldn't sign a contract to price over that. Most of you would say "I wouldn't do it", but in our market sometimes we are forced to say yes when we want to walk away. Then of course my wonderful employees threw down twice as much as needed so it was like I salted this place 130 times for the price of 35. boom
  9. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Tuff call. Dont just walk away....Better to put a HIGH number in and get turned down for high price then no price.