1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

seasonal rate for driveway and walkway

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by trinitysnow, Sep 26, 2008.

1. trinitysnow

trinitysnow Junior Member

I live in South Lake Tahoe CA we get an average snow fall of 125" a season, a property manager wants me to bid residential driveways to include walkways also. We start removing snow at 6" . For a 2 car drive is around $450 for the season. I'm just unsure on how much additional for the walkways, lets say for 4' x 50' from garage to front door. with a average of 16 visits. using a shovel. any suggestions? I'm thinking $200 - $250 for a total of $650 - $700 for the season.
  2. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I hate shoveling, but yr shovel price is $15/ event and that's at least 6" ea time. Hardly seems wothwhile, in fact it may slow down plowing operations alot. I would be well over $400 for the shovel part. Just me.
  3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I don't contract my own, but I know guys here that charge more for shoveling. Say plow rate is $75, shoveling would be $85-90. I was surprised to hear that, but my wife used to do the billing for one of them. And, starting at 6"? Wow, that's unheard of here. 2" is the std, but sometimes even less. Not to say you could budget it, but if you had several of the 4' walks, it may be worth getting a 4 wheeler to cut time.
  4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What is the time going to be when there is 30" on the ground allready and you have to throw it over the existing piles ?
    6" is to much to shovel by hand all night. Get a blower, someones back will thank you.
  5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

You have to get a blower. Why do they want you to start at 6"? Seems like a lot. What if it only snows 4"? Do you go out and plow?
  6. trinitysnow

trinitysnow Junior Member

I've got a tool cat w/ a blower its to big for walkways so after we finish the drive my guy would shovel the walkway. as for the 6" that's pretty standard out here for are contracts,( if it snows 4" we will go out, any less we don't ) private roads are different we contract those at 2" .
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic