1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal for gas stations

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by F350plowing, Aug 30, 2012.

1. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

I'm bidding on quite a few gas stations this year. They will be seasonal contracts. They are about an hour to do each with a 2 inch snow fall. The problem I am having is trying to figure out how many pushes to base it off of for the season. They are really picky so a 6 inch storm would each wold be plowed 3 times at least. Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

6 inch storm you won't be getting 3 pushes,at best 1 or 2.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need to find the snowfall averages for your area. Have you done a lot of this type bidding?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't forget the average convenience store turns into a madhouse when it snows. Lots of return trips to clean up corners, employee parking, etc

Is this why you are thinking of putting a wideout on a half ton?

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

too add to this.. if your contracts states 2", you best be doing them every 2"... if not its a lawsuit waiting to happen (especially with convience stores... lots of liability)

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It would be a good place for a 1/2 ton short bed with a Snoway R and small spreader.

Short pushes never more than a couple inches deep when you need to control the snow placement.

7. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Watch out for the covers that they fill the unground tanks with. Even though you backblade over them with the blade lifted a little, I still have had to dig some out of the snow:)

8. grandview

I think some people over think plowing gas stations. Not that hard,keep open if 24 hrs and have it plowed out before it opens.

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I agree...a good salt in the entrance/exit drives usually gets dragged through by the traffic, I find them quite easy to keep clean.

10. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

They want it done every 2 inches.

the average changes drastically year to year for us it seems

I don't even own a half ton

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You don't understand the word average. A no event winter or double winter will only move your 10 year average by 10%

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  12. grandview

Re read your own post. Unless you have a truck sitting in each lot you will not be plowing every 2 inches. Even if it starts snowing and you have 3 of them and you start plowing at 1 inch and it snows 1 inch an hour by the time you get back to the first one you'll have 3 inches in it.Depending on how busy these places are ,the cars will keep the snow down.

13. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Or plow the entrances and exits to keep everyone there :D

Honestly though. Suppose you get an 15" storm, are you really
    Going to plow it 8 times? Or are you going to plow it like 3-4 times?

14. grandview

Done that many times to control the traffic.

15. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

Check with your insurance and make sure they will cover gas stations in your Plow Insurance, as I know mine requires an addtional coverage just for gas stations...and I have heard others say the same about theirs as well...so I avoid them.