1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Customer disputing second installment because the snowfall was so light....

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by aloe, Mar 31, 2016.

1. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

anyone dealt with this before??? 1300 /2 plus salt....while it may not have snowed a lot there were still 13 events.....freezing rain, ice as well as small 1' storms. 0 tolerance property.
  2. brasski

brasski Member

Yes I have had this happen a couple times before and my standard reply is that they weren't going to pay me more if I plowed 40 times (our average is 26 plows) so the seasonal price is the price regardless what the weather does its called SEASONAL!!
  3. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

A Seasonal price is so that both customer and provider both know exactly what the cost is going to be regardless of amount of services provided (unless there's a cap). The cost is the cost. As stated above, would the customer volunteer to pay more if it snowed four times your annual average? And that's the question I'd ask the customer.
  4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

That's why seasonal is great in theory but sucks in practice. You'll always have people like that. I tried 12 month landscape billing and had same issue
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why are you waiting untill March to collect the 2nd payment?

First payment,November , 2nd payment due by January30th or all services stop.

The 2 payment seasonal is to make it easer for the homeowner to budget for and to get paid before the work may be done.
    This way you're never in the rears....if they stop paying.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What have I been doing wrong? For years, probably more years than you've been alive.......

One customer complaining does not mean it doesn't work. Certain customers will complain aboot any type of billing: seasonal, per inch, per push, per hour. It is the exception, not the rule.
  7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly, why we discussing March 31st ?
  8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Cause tomorrow is April Fools Days........
  9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Is it in the rears or in arrears?

I must be doing it wrong too, cause I have instalment payments that aren't due till April 30 for snow....
  10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I won't dissemination on this foolish until tomorrow then?
  11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Didn't say that. Just saying my experience in my area. Commercial it's not an issue, usually. You guys have alot more consistent snow work then we do and I'm sure that helps.

I want to try selling prepay driveways this year. I'm curious how that's going to go
  12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

If your last payment is this late, do three smaller payments. Tell them your overhead costs like insurance don't go down if it doesn't snow.
  13. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

Seasonal Contracts = Insurance
  14. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

You got that right...........
  15. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

I see your in NY. :eek: Yes I did deal with one this season, They should of fired you or dismissed you before ?ing the invoice. Payed you to date. One of my seasonal got rid of me and got somebody by trip for the rest of the season. Low snow amounts suk. Ask them to pay you to date and put it behind you.

Be careful tho, Chances of this low snow amount season is not likely to happen next season. How bad are they trying to pluck you. Is the amount there disputing something you can close one eye to so you can continue service next season. I don't want to go back where I was dismissed from. Maybe you do???
  16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

In this instance where it hasn't snowed, why would the customer be more inclined to pay the 3rd payment that is later in the spring?

I use a contract, if they don't pay, I take them to court.
    Usually filing the case is enough to get payment plus the filing cost of $60.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  17. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

They will not be inclined to pay, We all know that they would not give no more on a high accumulation season etc. To ? the invoice is unreasonable. This really means nothing either, If he's anywhere near me in NY we have not done $2000.00 worth of work on a 25k to $30k Seasonal job.

I lost better than 12k on one job I was dismissed on, But I took in 13K before they dismissed me with hardly no work performed. They would of dismissed me anyways but in hind sight I wish I handled it in a different way. If I wasn't bull headed :eek: I should of made a deal by trip because of the low level of snow and went back on contract next season.

I put down approx. 12 ton of salt at $79.00 per ton and plowed it once. Total time spent plowing and spreading 3 1/2 hr. per event. Salt only events 45 min.
  18. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I was more to the point to get his money faster. Instead if two payments, and the last one at the end of the season.
  19. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

Mark 'ol Chap, just cause I stole one of your girls from Kalamazoo, don't mean you can start taking Canadian now.......:nono:
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure where you've been, but I've been talking Canuckian for several years.

Hope you got one of the good ones, there aren't that many from Kazoo.