1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Contracts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flawless440, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm just curious how everyones seasonals are going?
    Just screwed or are mangers dipping into their pockets?

My biggest accounts (per Push) just told us they are out of money.
    They have been having us do all the walks.. 6 man crews and a pallet of walk salt per event per property.. Dam maintenance guys need to do their own walks.

2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Why would managers be dipping into their pockets on a seasonal?

3. Flawless440

IDK... I think some contracts have a cap on them there for I would think the cap has been reached??
    Properties going to have to go into there pockets..

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Seasonal contracts should be for more than one season, all averages out if you know your numbers

5. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

My seasonal contracts have event limits, then its per push after that.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

My one seasonal Contact for the month profit is 2k
    I broke my Contact up So I could see if I profit during each month

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

How is that a seasonal contract?

Do you refund them if you are under your per push numbers?

8. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

I do mainly all residentials and I don't know how anybody would charge seasonal. In 2011 I plowed 5 times. In 2012, I plowed 8 times, so far this year I have plowed 20 times. The most I have ever plowed in one season is in 2009 with 17 plows. So basically if I take an average throughout the years I would say around 12 plows is average. So if I did a seasonal contract for 12 plows, that would mean this year I would have don't the last 8 plows for free, on top of the two more months of winter we have left.

9. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

I have won the last two years, This year will be a loss.

10. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

I think it is fair for everyone. I get paid for what I do. The customers pays for what is done.

11. birddseedd

No refund. But it is designed for record seasons. I don't mind getting paid lower power push when I get the stability of monthly payments. But at the same time. I don't want to end up only getting 50 per push on a 150 dollar lot

12. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

How are you working out your pricing? I plan on plowing this many times x plowing rate = seasonal contract bill, pay upfront?

13. JimMarshall

from NW PA

The couple I have is average snows X price per push + average salts + price per salt with a little extra thrown on. We would have to have a LOT of snow before they cost me money. I might not profit, but I wont lose money. Only have 4 of my properties that are seasonal. 3 of them have the option of all up front, or broken into 5 payments. Payments due the first of Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, and March. If your payment isn't in, no service. One of them is yearlong seasonal. We mow, etc and do snow removal for the same monthly price for 12 months

14. birddseedd

One of them that I do is a $100 lot. They are on a $400 monthly payment. Their limit to be covered under their monthly payment is 24 plows. If I plow exactly 24 times their power plow actual cost is at a discount. But if we get hammered to the point that I am doing 35 plows in the season it projects me from working for free.

15. JimMarshall

from NW PA

How many months?

16. birddseedd

I don't like the idea of chance of not making money I'm too close to that line already.

It may be as little different here in Michigan because our weather is so variable.

Last year we got 6 events this year we are around 20.

The same customer I mentioned above I'm not worried about that one because if missing events change its only by a couple events not enough to effect my overall profit.

17. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Oh yeah, the weather here doesn't vary at all:rolleyes:

18. Flawless440

Good info guys....

Trying to figure out a program for these properties next season.
    I have no experience when it comes to seasonals..

19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Been out at least 25 times this season. Still make money on the seasonal though. Only difference is I'm spend gas money on plowing instead of driving around all day drinking coffee. More snow we get the faster I'm getting done. Lots get smaller so it's faster to plow them and go home.

20. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Quote of the day