1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

seasonal contracts

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by snowman6, Aug 22, 2010.

1. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

I have only had two seasonal contracts and was just curious if a seasonal customer pays the full amount in advance and then decides to cancel in the middle of the season do I legally have to refund their money thanks in advance for any help!
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Put a clause in the contract stating there are no refunds for customer cancelations
  3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

depends on how the agreement is worded. I would assume if they have just cause to terminate your services, then yes you are responsible for paying them back.
  4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

All I'm going to say is if this customer trusts you this much to pay in advance and in full..... you better treat them like gold...... where else can you go and get paid BEFORE services are rendered?
  5. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

Thanks for the comments I will do my best to treat all of my customers like gold, but i did this last year and had an account cancel 2 snowfalls before the end of the season because of blade marks from a new cutting edge (goofy thing) I know but it happened and I did not refund so just wanted to know a little bit more about it from people with more exp THANKS
  6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

now i would argue that unless skid marks on their walks are blatantly spelled out as a no-no in your agreement, then they breached contract by not allowing you to change your methods and/or repair the walks, so that you can maintain the contract.
  7. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

I do mostly seasonal contracts. All of them pay for the whole season up front. My contract states that either party can terminate service with two weeks written notice. In your case, canceling at the end of the season, I would not refund any money, but if it was January, and they canceled within the parameters of the contract, I would refund some money, how much would depend on all circumstances involved, and a lot of calculating based on what has already been done. Personally, I am not into screwing people, and I'm a huge believer in Karma, so typically I error on the side of the customer without screwing myself, so that when they realize that the grass is not greener with the low-ball hacks, they will come back.
  8. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

Thanks asps4u and redman6565 I will go back to the drawing board as far as my contracts to make sure I cover all the bases next time.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I always did my driveway seasonals with 3 payments. As for canceling just give it back to them. Don't burn your bridges they may come back next year of for landscaping services,if not it's just good business.