1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Contracts, Retail Lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brad3403, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

With seasonal contracts, do you clear down to pavement? If you have to go back 3 times as the hardpack loosens up, is that included? Or do you charge extra? Because of our temperatures here, it is very hard to get down to pavement immediately after a storm. Usually a Chinook rolls in the next week and melts the hardpack. Does continued salting help or hinder?
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Salting would certainly help to achieve bare pavement. If it is really cold there (I assume it is in Alberta) I hope you're using something other than actual rock salt.

Should you achieve bare pavement at all costs and by a certain time after the storm? That is your call based on your SOW, expectations of the customer, and the level of service that you provide.
  3. adan

adan Member

We always try and get as close to the pavement as possible. Its cold and we have really hard snow at time but the edge on our buckets do a pretty good job, no salt needed.
  4. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

we include everything it takes to get to the pavement, re-plows, salting, re-salting, shoveling, re-shoveling, everything; all inclusive in our seasonals. Well, not everything, lol, the only thing we charge extra for is hauling. I won't say we are the cheapest though, edit(but we strive to be as thrifty as possible to ensure safety at the best price.) It depends on your clients expectations/budget.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

X2 we even have some with hauling included.
  6. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Here it's almost impossible to get down to pavement.
  7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

All my seasonal contracts are all inclusive (besides hauling). As far as I'm concerned, we do whatever it takes to get to bare pavement by the end of the storm even if the SOW doesn't specify that. I honestly cannot even imagine leaving a parking lot with anything more than bare pavement... But I am on the coast and have warmer temps than you most likely do up in Canada
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  8. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

For places like that I do a seasonal plowing and shoveling price, but salting is billed extra, on top of the seasonal cost. A lot of people dont like it, but it works well at two medical buuldings i have.

Some seasonals are all inclusive, but salting needed 8 hours after the final cleanup are billed as additional.

I have had good and bad expierances with seasonal prices, Im trying to tweak it to make the most money possible and keep my lots as safe as possible.
  9. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

My seasonals are covered for "X" amount of inches, from that point it is dependent on the contract...some will have to pay for extra plowings and saltings....others will have to pay for salt only.