1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Contracts...I have a question for you?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Snow Picasso, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Hey Guys, When you propose a Seasonal Contract how many saltings do you offer and how many pushes? Is there a rule of thumb? What do you base it on? Thanks, Snow Picasso:salute:

2. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Chicago's average snowfall is around 32 inches. So lets say you start your pushes at 2 inches, you would push 16 times with 16 salts. Multiply these numbers by the amount of a single push, (I.E. 16x$100=1600 + salt 1600= $3200). Divide This by 5 months (nov,dec,jan,feb,mar) = 540 per month. Although you might want to take that number down a bit to compete with guys driving 1/2 ton pick-ups with plywood plows. You can take on a partner and cover 20 of these a season fo an easy $5000 apiece per month. But you need a good partner who works hard and can trust like a brother. good luck

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

We have a bit of both. At first we were doing a max of 15 and then the cost per month divided by 3 for any extra snowfalls. We also have some that are unlimited and for both we get paid $100 per salting. Salting is included on two of our places and we prefer not to include it.

Jon

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Unlimited pushes. Salt (sand in my case) is not included. Based on average number of pushes per season. But this is balanced with per push accounts so no matter whether we have an above or below average snow year, income will balance out. But the most of my accounts, by far, are per push so I've never had to cut off the seasonal accounts I offer.

5. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

plowzilla -

Check your numbers again. Average seasonal snow fall for the Chicago area is 38 inches. Unless, of course, you're in the Indiana/Illinois lake effect snow belt.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

6. digit

digit Member

The thing you need to remember with bidding salt for the season most likely you will spread salt more than you plow depending on your customers. I prefer not to bid salt but if I do I add an additional 8-10 saltings of course this could vary some but usually you will get some light snow and ice events and we always salt when we plow.

7. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Im in the O'hare area (IL) and my seasonals are: unlimited pushes with no inch restrictions. 6 salting per/month anything after that is extra. Contract length is Nov 1st thru March 31st. I also tend to throw in some per/push contracts just to play it safe.

Ken