1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal contracts for commercial job

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Filthaut, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Filthaut

Filthaut Junior Member

Hi all..
    First I wanted to say thanks for helping us figure how to bid a seasonal contract. I am happy to say we were awarded the bid!!
    So a very big thanks to all the replyed.
    My next question is, what kind of contracts do you use for commercial. This is a small sub that has a trigger of 2". They do not want to be salted at all, so I really want to state that we are not liable for the lack of salt. We do have commercial insurance & carry property damage & liability. Any suggestions? If someone is willing to share a copy of a contact, I would love to see it. Please email to me at wwe@glis.net
    Thanks and have a great Turkey Day.

Kim Filthuat
    Bluegrass Lawn Care, LLC

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Better find out why they dont want salt. Last thing you want, is to go plow 3 days after a ice event and find the lot a sheet of ice and you sliding into every dumpster and pole in sight.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I wouldnt do that job without ice control,you will kill your truck,if you dont wreck it first.A commercial lot without de icing is not going to be safe for anyone,I wouldnt want to step out of my truck,you might fall on your butt.

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Salting is preferred, but sometimes you take what you can get. (especially starting out)

Try this disclaimer:

(Insert Co. name) shall not be responsible, nor liable to client, clients, guests, customers, invites, employees or any other person or entities for damages, injuries, losses or claims of any kind or nature caused by the condition of the clients surfaces or by the snow piles, mounds or ridges or by the resulting water runoffs and freezes. The client holds (insert Co. name), it's officers and employees harmless therefrom.

Have them sign that the do NOT want salt.

Document your plowing times.

Will you still get listed in a potential lawsuit?
    Yep.

Will you (or your insurance Co.) have to pay?
    Most likely not if you can make your case that YOU were not neglectful.

5. Filthaut

Filthaut Junior Member

Guess I didnt state that last post very well. We are not plowing a parking lot, it will be residential streets is a small sub. A total of 1 thru street and 4 courts. I really have know idea why they say no to salt, I am assuming that is a cost issue. We are meeting with them tomorrow to discuss the contracts. We will have to talk to them further about this. I know not salting leaves us pretty open to law suits, but what doesnt anymore?? :p

Anyone else have experience plowing residential streets?

Thanks,
    Kim Filthaut
    Bluegrass Lawn Care, LLC

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The same idea applies for private roads. If they do not want them salted make sure it is noted and signed in the contract by a association president or equivilant. Did they maybe mean no straight salt but will allow sand/salt mix? I would check on this. Even a flat road will get hard to plow after now has been packed and is slick. I understand that a newbie will want to get contracts. Just be careful and cover yourself. Try to sell extras like shoveling and traction melting aids.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Not only lawsuits,but have you ever tried to plow an area that was partially iced up,the tires spin,then you hit blacktop,then they bite,then slip again,this kills your truck IMO,also you get stuck easily in these lots,and its very easy to wreck your truck,or have a customer slide into you while in these lots,I used to do a few like this,but have given them up,unless they are willing to pay for safe maintance.try to talk them into ful service.I d have the manager sign off on every storm,service resfusals,after 3,thats it,but ive never had more than one a season from anyone company.

8. Filthaut

Filthaut Junior Member

You are right, trying to plow an area that is icey plays havoc on the truck. We dont need the new Dodge sliding into the light post.... OUCH :eek:
    We are meeting with them today, we will really have to sell the salting. We only use straight salt here in MI, no sand, so they dont have much of a choice there. We will be stating in the contract that it is their choice to deny salt & we are held harmless. I also like the idea about having someone sign off. Thats a great idea to cover our butts.
    Thanks for our inputs. It's great to find others who get all geeked out about snow!!

Kim Filthaut
    Bluegrass Lawn Care, LLC

9. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

It's only just starting... give it a month or so.... especially if it doesn't snow soon - these dudes will be wigging out big time. This board gets more and more active as we get some snow... so, stay tuned.