1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FredG, Dec 29, 2015.

1. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I got a seasonal with a large factory, Yesterday we had a film of white stuff. He called me in the morning he wanted salt, Performed service. This morning we had about 1/2 inch freezing rain performed salt spreading again.

We are looking at 45 to 50 degrees today. While I'm down there he's like why did you not plow, I said we have a 2'' trigger in are contract and you have a 1/2'' which I salted and salt was visible.

I bid this contract both ways per trip and per season. He said you have not plowed this once yet. I said if this was per trip you would of cried if it would of cost you 1k to plow and salt. He walks away and sez it don't matter it's going to melt anyways. Then sez nice job spreading.

Just another head of maintenance I will have to straighten out. It's been salted good and no chance of hard pack. I seen some guys plowing, I could not see it with salt. Anybody think I was unreasonable?

2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

So nothing under 2 inches no salt no calcium?
    If they signed that that's crazy in my area maybe your area is different

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure if you plow 10 times already he wouldn't be offering you more money.

4. Turbs3000

Turbs3000 Junior Member
    from Midwest

I think he is saying plowing has a 2" trigger, so he salted and did not plow. That's the same way our per occur and seasonal's work and would never have plowed with 1/2".

Things like this are the nature of the seasonal beast. in a few months we will have to remind our customers that while we have been light on snow this year, last year was above average.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

But shouldn't he have it all spelled out salting from 1/2 inch then plow
    My area we have to have black top showing as soon storm is over
    We could never leave 2 inches

6. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Exactly, This is how the contract states, I would of probably plowed a 1 1/2 inch but not 1/2 inch. I think he was feeling me out.

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

It is spelled out, Anything under 2'' no plowing just salt.The blacktop is showing just holding water from the 1/2 inch of freezing rain.

8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Same conditions as here and we went out and scraped sucks but we had to do it
    It will be 40 outside in 3 hours no ice here just slush but again my area picky people
    I feel 2 inches is to high of a plowing trigger should be 1 to 1.5 inches max but most people want cheapest contract and don't understand that this little slush is just a pain and they need to deal with it

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I know he just got to me a little, I was actually glad to go do something, I can't work if there is no snow.

10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Yeah but honestly I would feel like I'm loosing money because it's not what contract states
    Who's contract is it yours or theirs
    If mine I would plow if theirs I might not

11. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

The guy is a little frustrated, he has been paying out money for nothing and when you do get something his parking lot is not clear. I think the trigger is a little high, its really hard to melt 1 3/4 " of snow especially after it gets colder with no sun.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

sounds like the maintenance guy is just a dipshIt

13. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

Great thread! Lot's of good info here. I like to think I have a good grasp of plowing/salting, but it never hurts to pick up some more knowledge from others experiences. For me, especially, in explaining it to customers. Communication is so important. So many variables to factor into: Do I plow? 0r salt? Do I need to scrape the slush? Or will it melt? What's the forecast? sun,clouds, temp?

14. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I agree and would of been plowing at 1 1/2 inches even if the contract states 2''. Not 1/2 inch of freezing rain, What does he have to be frustrated about? This job was bid both ways seasonal and trip. You can't have it both ways.

There's nothing but a little slush and water. You could not hard pack it if you tried. It's been salted twice for 3/4 inch of freezing rain between yesterday and today. It's 40 degree now predicting to make 45 50 today and thur to Thursday.

We got idiots buy trip here want 3''. But don't cry about hard pack. Just salt present. Remember the 2'' trigger was there request not mine and knew on seasonal I would have to plow at 1 1/2 inch to keep control of job.

My actual question was if anybody thought I was unreasonable about not plowing it for him. Meaning they paid out 2 large checks and have received no service. 2 upper threads straighten me out on that so far. Still open to opinion.

15. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

If say you are correct but it you want to keep it for next year suck it up and plow it

16. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Just remember 1/2" of freezing rain is equal to approx. 5 to 6" of snow so it takes that much more salt to melt it. You put salt down it starts to melt gets deluted with water and wont work. Just keep that in mind when trying to salt ice or sleet.

17. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Always can learn something, I'm just want opinions on what they would have done with a 1/2 inch of freezing rain. About 1 yard of salt does a nice job under these weather conditions. They paid out two nice checks received no service. Just wondering if I should of been a nice guy and threw him a bone. I made my decision.

The communication with him is good. He likes to show authority from what I here from the mechanics working in there. He's been good with me.

18. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Originally it was my contract, When it went to there legal dept. It was worded a little different but no changes or nothing I would not agree with. I guess you would say theirs.

19. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

It's raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock, It's going away in front of my office and the city did not salt as I'm on a side street not much traffic.

20. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Buy him a bottle and send him back to boiler room! Unless his name is on check doesn't matter what he wants.Sounds like a typical condo job,everyone is a plow expert!:drinkup: