1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Contract?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by lawncarebycurt, Oct 16, 2014.

1. lawncarebycurt

lawncarebycurt Junior Member

Hi

I am new to plowing. I have a truck, plow, 3 snowblowers.

A small business wants a seasonal contract. I said fine.

60 Per visit (x10 visits?) = $600 a season (2 - 4") of snow

My question is this: What do I do when the snow fall is greater? Am I allowed to bill her more for the additional snow even though we have a contract?

Thank you
    Curt

2. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

What would you do if we got less snow? Pocket the money right!! I don't think 10 visits are enough, typically we have more events then that in southeast mich. You have to take the average number of snowfalls or plowing events, maybe pad it a little for insurance and go with that. If its a really hard winter you loose, if its a normal or light winter you win.

3. lawncarebycurt

lawncarebycurt Junior Member

Would 15 snow events be more realistic?

4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Everyones number of events will be different. Do a little research on how many times you got more then an inch or 2 of snow. Also keep in mind that this is a business and if you get 6 to 8 inches during the day you will need to plow more then once.

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Get your average snowfall history, and divide it by your trigger amount, multiply by per push price and there's your number.

I agree, 10 events anywhere in MI I think is too low. We do more than that here in OH.

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

No, even with a 2-4" trigger, you could do that in a month. If its your first time plowing this lot, see if they will do a per push, or hourly. Its a little more paper work on your end, but at least you would be covered if it turns out to be a bad winter. On the other hand, if its a light winter, you wont make much money. It doesn't seem like seasonal contracts are real big here in west MI, except for your bigger box stores. I am all per push, and it doesn't hurt my feelings if it doesn't snow, espically after last year...