1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal contract pricing question

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by lumps, Oct 8, 2008.

1. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I know I've been asking a lot of questions recently, but I'm in the middle of a lot of bids. I really appreciate all the help I've received on here.

I have a commercial lot that wants a seasonal price. I have my base rate figured out for the job. My question is what I multiply by my average number of plowable events to get the seasonal rate. In the past, it's always been resi, so there was no difference. But now, do I use my base rate, my 4-8" rate, 8-12", or what?

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

what i personally do , is find the average number of storms, for each level , then charge based on that

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Seasonal is a little different .You bid it on how many plows you think you will plow for the season.As for me how many inches is no concern for me. EX. if you figured 100 per plow then you multiply that by how many times you think you will plow it.

100x 25= 2500 for the season regardless how much snow fell in the season.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For seasonal rates, you really need historical data. Without it, you're just "shooting in the dark". What you might try is taking the average annual snowfall for your area, divide that by the "trigger" depth, then divide that by two and multiply that by the "per plow" rate for any given site. I just tried it for a couple seasonals I have and it was close (each have different triggers). Off about 10% in each case - one was over and one was under; each by 10%.

5. grandview

Mick if that was the case here,we avg 100 inches a year so that means I would of gone out 50 times last year. But I only plowed 20 times and cruised around a few times when I went for coffee just to see how things are.

6. Mick

from Maine

I think you missed one step: 100/trigger depth; then divide by 2 and multiply by Per Plow rate.

100 / 3 = 33; 33 / 2 = 16.5; 16.5 * $50 = $825

Nothing to do with how many times you went out.

7. grandview

If I read you right your saying 17 times out plowing I base mine on 25 for a little padding.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Why are you dividing by 2, I am a little lost with that.

GV if your trigger is 2" then you would have been at 25 with that formula.

9. Mick

from Maine

What's your trigger? My example was with 3". With 100" of snow, yours sounds like maybe 2".

100 / 2 = 50 ; 50 / 2 = 25; 25 * $50 = $1250

Sound like a good seasonal rate for a $50 per plow site and a 2" trigger?

10. grandview

OK ,I see I base mine on 2 inch triggers.

11. Mick

from Maine

12. Mick

from Maine

Really, this was intended for lumps - just to get him started without any historical data to go by.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That looks like a good formula Mick.

I base mine on 25 plows. We usually get 5-6 plows under 2" and 3 plows over 6". Last year none of the formula's worked out. We has one 18" snowfall, two 12" snowfalls and one 9" snowfall. We did get a ton of loader work though.

14. Mick

from Maine

15. big acres

big acres Senior Member

16. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Interesting formula, I'll try it out, seems like it'll work well, thanks!

17. Mick

from Maine

18. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i always use 22 full trips and 18 partials or clean up runs to calculate my seasonal pricing.

19. snyps

snyps Senior Member

I have a dart board with diffrent numbers on it.. I just cover my eyes and start throughing!!

:jester:

I find it interesting that here in Buffalo we are almost all seasonal and people I know other places are not..

20. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

that always works too haha