1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Contract in a low snow year

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This year I had my first customer who decided to go with a seasonal contract. I'd had something like them in the past, but this was the first where the customer chose between per push, per inch and seasonal. I agreed to two payments - at the start of the season and Feb 1st. Like a few others here, I was worried that he'd balk because there hadn't been much snow (about a third of usual pushes so far). I'd sent out a "statement" at the end of December outlining what I'd done to that point, asking him to forward the second half by February 1st and putting a statement there something like "we can, as usual, expect increased snow activity in February and March". "Plowing operations generally stop effective April 1st". I didn't say anything about how much snow we'd gotten to this point.

Today I got a check in the mail. No whining. No crying. Just a check for the balance of the year.

On the flip side of this, I'm prepared to follow through on my end of the deal. Even if it means going up there every day between now and April 1st. Actually that'd be nice - I'd make a fortune on my per push accounts.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No problems here,most people like seasonal anyway.Like a lot of other guys say you pay insurance all year and nothing happens you don't get your money back.
  3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

They way I look at it, if I was hiring someone, is season is better.

Per push is a complete gamble and is hard to budget for.

However, season is easy to budget for. You put aside X many dollars and know that's what it costs. Yes their is a chance that one year you might get the short end of the stick. But it always, always belances out. And atleast you know you will spend X dollars on snow removal. No less, no more.