1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal contract but wait......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Jan 11, 2014.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I know this lady who needed her driveway done and it was to far for me so she hired a guy for a season price, driveway and front steps on porch .400.00. I see her and she tells me the guy called and told her he;ll have to start charging her an extra 20 bucks now every time he plows,He even told her it wasn't in the contract but was the only way he could keep plowing her for the rest of the season.

2. areoseek

areoseek Senior Member
    from Erie PA

That's ridiculous. If she isn't roped in, drop the contract

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I wonder if he would show up with a couple hundred bucks on a year it hardly snows. :rolleyes:

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Does this guy sub for more money per hr on bigger storms...?:rolleyes:

5. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

LOL , I remember that post. They would be perfect for each other.

6. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Also how far out of town is she? Or is it just a bad property?

7. grandview

She is in town he also does the neighbor across the street.

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

If they have a written contract then he can't do anything. That's what stands in court.

9. grandview

Bait and switch.

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I am not following?

11. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

That's what it's called when a contractor does what he described. They bait you in (seasonal cheap price) then switch it on you (increase the price after you agreed).

$400 is cheap. I can understand why Grandview did it. :D

12. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Yup sketchy move, bait and switch. If he wants out of the contract (I don't think he does, he's just fishing for more money) the nice way to go about it would be offer the full seasonal amount back to her (no set price per storm means he should get nothing for his work so far because it's his mistake). She'd probably have to take him to court though, but perhaps since he took money and is in violation of a contract for services provided a call to the cops would be in order (theft??).

13. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

So was the 400 an average price for your area? Have you got above average snow this season ?

14. grandview

Normal year. He told her he plowed 19 times this season. 400 is closer to high end for a 2 car driveway.

15. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Well obviously the worst she could do at this point is give the guy any additional money. I'd probably advise her to find a back up plan for the day he doesn't show. Until then, all she can really do is alert the city or township, and consider filing a complaint w/ the Attorney Generals Office. No po-po JCByrd, it's a civil matter.

16. grandview

[​IMG]

17. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I hope she at least had a contract or receipt.

18. grandview

yes..........

19. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Good enough then, have her contact the local city prosecutor so he is at least aware. If this ends up being one of those stories of many people scammed then possibly a class action suit. If nothing else, maybe they can pull his license. Better yet if he didn't have one. At that point, the city could get more involved if they wanted to & possibly shut him down.

20. grandview

Another update, sometimes he shows up to plow and not shovel sometimes dosen't show up after all,