1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Church Driveway

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by jerpa, Nov 12, 2014.

1. jerpa

jerpa Member

1" trigger with salt included on the 2500sq foot church driveway below. Average of 15-20 plowable events and an additional 15-20 salt only events. This is my first seasonal, however laughably small, so I'm curious where others would be.

2014-11-12 16.58.05.jpg

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Looks like a $65/ push job to me. Events are not the concern, number of visits per year is what you want to be thinking....20 events, but how many visits per event? This is where being explicit with the terms is important, because you don't want to push every inch if you can wait till the end of a 6 inch even and push once.

3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

What do you think it's worth? Let's compare.

4. jerpa

jerpa Member

Pittsburgh is a lot of 1-3" storms with a few 4"+, and maybe one big dump of 8+. The time of the storms will dictate the number of pushes and I won't be there every inch but they will be happy. It's 10 minutes from home and one of the banks I service. I bid 1800.

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

$1800 for what
    Plow
    Salt
    Shoveling
    Calcium

6. jerpa

jerpa Member

That's for plowing and salting the driveway for accumulations over an 1", and salting at my discretion for smaller accumulations/sleet/etc. Salt treatments that are necessary 48 hours or more after accumulations have stopped will be extra and charged at $35 per application.

No walks.

7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Wow
    48 hours to long to be responsible
    I offer 7 hours most offer 24
    $35 is too cheap
    As long as no shoveling or calcium I guess it's better than nothing but I still would be higher

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Look I love during Churches, to me they are the best and we do a ton of them...well maybe not a ton but we do 7. Of the 7 two were seasonable accounts that we soon switched to by the "push" . At first it started out great because they said you only have to plow when they were having services....then it was funerals, then it was lunches...and it went on and on. Finally we said things have to change and they both agreed.....
    Trust me, it all starts out good and getting paid whether your plowing or not, but we've found there are two many variables with churches where it always ends up favoring them big time.

Maybe it's just the way the man upstairs is getting even with us :)

9. jerpa

jerpa Member

Thanks for the input. The contract hasn't been signed so I think I will change it to 24 hours.

What would your per application price be? I would've bid 40 per plow and 35 to salt on a per push basis so that's what I was using for extra salt treatments. It will take 50-100 lbs of salt so less than 5 dollars an app.

I felt I was a little bit high on the bid but I guess I was wrong.

10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Min salt charge $50
    Plow $65
    Your time is money u need to go buy salt lay out money store it load etc
    That to me is cheap but better than nothing
    I would be at $150 plow $75 salt up to 5 inches

11. jerpa

jerpa Member

I understand prices vary by area but there is no way I could get $225 a push for a 200ft x 12ft driveway. I'd be lucky to get that on a 1/4 acre site. I will definitely make money based on proximity to my other accounts but I may have to readjust it for next year.

I based my number on 2.5x my overhead costs for this account on a severe winter. I multiplied my estimated salt costs by 1.5x, so enough for 60 heavy applications, then added in insurance, fuel, etc. This leaves me with 60%, or $1080 to pay me for my labor.

12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Yeah I charge $1000 for up to 10 storms of 10 inches or less on a regular resi house with shoveling
    I sell my quality if service most by me get $300 for unlimited
    I would never do unlimited there needs to be caps on all work