1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Bidding

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Filthaut, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Filthaut

Filthaut Junior Member

Hello all...
    I need some advice for making a seasonal bid.
    We were asked to place a seasonal bid on a small residential subdivision which consists of one street with four courts branching off of it. The total milage for all is a little over 3 miles. We figure it would take about 2 hours for 1 truck with a 7.5 straight blade to complete the job. We dont have to do any of the sidewalks or driveways, just the streets. Upon inspection , it looks like each street could be completed with three passes. We usually place per push bids, so we need a little help doing a seaonal bid. How do you come up with a figure? We were thinking this:
    :confused:
    1 truck per hour- $85.00
    3 hour per job- $170.00
    10 pushs per season- $1700.00

Doesn't that sound low??
    To give you an idea where we are, we are in Metro Detroit, which the last couple of years seems to have a bubble over us as everyone around us gets snow, but we dont!!
    I would appreciate any thoughts & ideas!!
    thanks....
    Kim Filthaut

2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Once you figure out approx. time then you find the average of snow events and go from there. You will want to put a cap on the events so if you get over your estimate you will still get compensated. Also you want to remember that little courts can be a bear to back drag.
    Does the price need to include salting also?

Bruce

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Using your hourly rate, yes you are too low. $85 x 3hrs is $255 (not $170/2 hrs). Then it would be $2550 for 10 pushes, although I would give a lower amount for a seasonal contract. But you do what your market will bear. There are others on here closer to you who can give better advise in that matter

4. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I think you made a typo.

$100 / hr is "normal" around here. But of course there is some variance from county to county as well.

10 pushes per season is a good average to use if the trigger point is 2" If the trigger point is 1 inch, you may have more pushes per season.

The average snowfall for southeastern lower Michigan is 45" (over the last 20 years) And from all predictions I have seen (from many different sources) estimates are slightly above normal snowfall for the 2001 2002 season. Remember that 45" is the average, some winters had much more and some had much less.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2001
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure three passes with a 7.5' will do the job? Granted, I don't know how narrow the streets are but a 7.5 blade when angled has a "plowing width" of under 7 feet (A Western brochure shows their 7.5' blades having a plowing width when angled of 6' 6", Fisher shows 6' 7") and you'll probably have it at full angle plowing the street.

When determining your average number of snow events, go back quite a ways (say 5 - 10 years) to arrive at a realistic figure. Here in my area, every winter since '97 has been mild with not a lot of snow - until last winter. By around the middle of February, there was more than one contractor effectively working "for nothing", because they figured that winter would be the same as the one before it.

6. Filthaut

Filthaut Junior Member

3 hour per job- $170.00

Yea... that was a typo... opps...

The quote doesn't include salt. We would be bidding extra for that. Thanks for all your responses... sounds like we are on the right track.

Kim

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I didn't read the original message close enough to realize that the 3 (hrs) was a typo. Didn't realize until it was too late :eek: . For base data regarding snowfall, I use "Weatherbase" which, for the Detroit area, shows a 35 year history with a 41.4" average.

8. plowjockey

Mick
    Is there a link to this "weatherbase"?

Bruce

9. plowjockey

Oops

Well when I finally put on my thinking hat I tried www.weatherbase.com
    Thanks anyway.

Bruce

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

You should contact your local university and find out how that total breaks down- one 40 inch storm would be different than 40 1 inch storms for example.

11. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Good point Bill - on a similar topic, I was able to get precip records for the town I live in, but they don't specify "snow" or "rain". Back in February we had a bunch of rain for a couple of days (I know 'cause my shop got flooded! :mad: ) as well as snow but the records just show a total figure for the month.

12. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Maybe I should have stated it differently. Let's try this: In this area of Michigan, there is an average of 10 plowable snow events of 2" or more. There may be only eight storms dropping more than 2", but two of the storms may require you to plow twice.