1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

seasonal bidding and perpush bidding

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dbduts, Nov 1, 2014.

1. dbduts

dbduts Member

i have a condo lot with 14 buildings and 300 spaces .I have been plowing by inch 1-3 and up. my trigger is an inch. once the storm starts my truck and one shoveler are on site till the end. my price included up to two trucks and one shoveler.billed only 55 hr if I needed third truck to move snow into empty spots and away from cars.i billed for 35hr for extra shovelers if needed. 14 40x4 walkways to clear during the storm.now they want a seasonal rate and a specified time when I call in third truck or extra shovelers.i don't feel 14 walks can be done safely with one shoveler with a 6 inch storm,i am responsible for slip and falls,also they now want any damage done during plowing to be done by outside company not by me,also their burms are all cracked and want me to pay if any are damaged, the main road is about 1/4 mile culdisac and back road is a houreshoe behind buildings about 1/2 mile, takes hr 15 min to plow everything once with one truck I also include a free sanding .I priced at 1350 for 1-3 ,I feel im to cheap at that price,i also salt all walks looking for advice on how to do this seasonally and to specify when I should say when I call in extra truck and shovelers in , I need to write up a contract thanks

2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Take what you billed them the last couple years, add 15% or whatever you are comfortable with! and there's your seasonal price.
    I would state that another truck will be called in "when conditions warrant".
    I wouldn't agree to their damage policy.
    I may walk away from this since they are becoming unreasonable.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You ever tried a single stage blower To speed up the walk cleaning
    I wouldn't agree with the damage policy

4. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I live in east bridgewater, I would take your price base on a 6" snowfall and multiply that by an average of 10 plowable events for the season, take 2 of those events and add in the cost of the 3rd truck and extra sidewalk guys and add it all up and give them the price. I'd add 25% on top for the damage clause although I would prob walk away at that point as I've been scammed too many times over false bs. They just wanna get stuff replaced at your expense. So I understand a 3" snowfall takes you 1.25hours to complete and I'm assuming the same time with the walks? And 1 round of salt included? If you are getting $1350 for all that I'd say take it and run. Not a bad deal for less than 2 hours work!

5. dbduts

dbduts Member

you miss understood alittle on the time for plowing,once one inch hits the ground I have to plow,i keep plowing till the storm is over,i don't leave.a 3 inch storm can take its sweet time falling.so I can get stuck there for 3-5 hrs.i do make the most profit on a quick small storm but bigger storms my time is eaten up there i keep this property clean to help stop slip and fall claims.if I charge 60 bucks for extra truck I spend 10 -15 on gas and 20 for driver so my profit for third truck is 25, if nothing breaks ,and that doesn't include any other vehicle exspenses, it ticks me off that people think I make big bucks plowing, and keep wanting to take more or exspect more

6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

If you do end up doing it, take pics of burms in current state.

7. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

You should go with what Wilnip said above. If we get a blizzard like we did in Feb 2013 you'll be stuck there for 3 days straight and can lose your shirt if it's a busy winter. So figure out what you billed out the last 3 years add it all up and divide by 3 + 15% and there's your number. I think that's the safest way on your end but then again they might get price shock and say they'd like to continue with the tierd pricing.

8. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

We bill out $85/hr for plow truck and still don't make anything after the winter is over. I'm trying
    To switch over to per push pricing so we aren't competing as a commodity with price per hour. There is never any shortage of guys charging $20-30 less than us, making us look greedy.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I wonder if that what you was taking about

So if you get 6'' storm you make same if your there for 2hr or 8hrs its same price + extra for a truck or a guy

10. dbduts

dbduts Member

thanks for input, yes I make flat rate for each storm but charge extra for second or third shovelers and third truck,plus I use to leave a truck on site in case of a breakdown or extra driver they don't want it left there anymore , it is to both our advantage to have it there,i make my money for extra sandings if ice up ,also is there any guide lines to fallow on when plow company has stated time to have clean/salted by I mean in the law sense ,so we cant be held negligent in plowing or salting,i was going to state I need extra when one shoveler cant maintain a two inch max of snow on walks, and I do use single stage snowblowers they are the best