1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Sep 30, 2008.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys I need some help with bidding a new account I am looking at. Owner wants a 4 month seasonal contract. Only problem, I never bid anything seasonal before, and I have no idea what or where to start. The site is gonna take me 3 hours to plow, if I have 3 truck there. Figure a hour per truck. If at all possible I would like to put the loader work into the quote so that isn't a extra charge later on in the season. All the loader will be doing is stacking piles when needed. I also need help setting up a seasonal quote paper so I can get this sent in. Thanks for the help guys.

Ryan

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So it's 3 hrs to plow and loader time?

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

It would be 3 hours for me to plow it alone. The loader wouldn't need to be used all the time. Only to stack piles when they get out of hand. Also the site only needs to be plowed every 6 inches also.

4. grandview

Hourly rate x 3x number of times plowed and add in a 10 hrs of loader time then divide by 4.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree but I would just make loader work as an extra, also i'd put it anotheer couple extra plow over average. I can't beleive they want to leave it untill 6", it's going to be very hard to plow the hardpack with pickups.

6. grandview

Reread it. Didn't see the 6 inch part. If your seasonal your better off putting it in your rotation for plowing . Maybe you'll plow it twice but it will be faster then trying to plow it once with more snow.

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Alright, so basically take my hourly rate, times it by 3 then times that by how ever many of times I think it will take to plow it? I know 6 inches is alot, but I figure every other storm I will be there depending on how much snow we get went its snowing. Its just a garage condo complex, but there is pry a good 25 garages in there. There the big ones too, with 16 foot doors. Do you guys have any copies of your seasonal agreements that I might be able to reference? I don't have anything like that ever written up, and I wouldn't know where to start af far as breaking everything down. I know I can get everything else in there that I need.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  8. grandview

Don't forget to add a few plows for some buffer or an extra few hours for clean ups.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Yeah I figured on doing that already, How do you break this down on the quote then? Like I said I am new to this seasonal thing so If you can help me out GV or anyone else with visuals of your seasonal agreement that would be best, or just explain how to break it down on the quote. Thanks.

10. grandview

5,000.00 x8.75% (tax) =5,437.50 /4=1,359.38

Seasonal price Nov1st -Apr 30th

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

That 1359.38 would be there month statement then right?

12. grandview

Yes. Do you collect sales tax?

13. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Whatever the state takes out for there cut, and i think the fed accually get some too, i am not sure. But I think they do.

14. grandview

No .I mean you have your price and to you have to add sales tax to that

15. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

He is in MI. We had that sales tax issue last year, but it failed.

The customer only wants you to show up at 6" because he is used to paying "per push". If you get a seasonal contract that means you plow no matter how many times it snows between the dates on the contract.

If I were you I would base it on how many times you plowed last year at a 2" trigger. I don't know what Holland got, but Kalamazoo got about 25 storms last year.

I would be sure to explain to him that you will show up every 2" and it won't cost him any more than if you show up every 6".

3 hours to plow at 2" would be 4,5,or 6 hours to plow at 6"
    Rate($100) X 3 hr = $300
    Rate($100) X 6 hr = $600

So lets say you base it on 10, 6" storms. That would be $6000 annually
    Now lets base it on 20, 2" storms. That would be $6000 annually.

On the other hand, you are getting a check no matter how many times you push, so you might want to keep it at 6". I wouldn't though. Not very professional.

16. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Well I called his office today when I got out of work and left him a msg. and statied that I had a few questions for him. Honestly I think he ment we wants it plow before 6 inches is on the ground but it came out different?. I am going to ask him if I can keep a loader in one of the units for a price of X off the price to plow the units. Or should I just see if he'll lend me one of the units for the winter first? That way I have a place to keep it out of the weather, and also I can use it at the lot, and be done in less time, and make more money. Well thats the plan anyway. Just gotta get the quote on a 4 month lease for the loader. Then I need a push box.

17. grandview

Tel him you'll leave the loader there at no charge.

18. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Hows this sound, I am looking into renting a front end loader or back hoe, and I am thinking of using it here as well as some of my other accounts. In the long run as far as hours for me being here with 2 or 3 trucks it is gonna be cheaper for the loader to be here, and if you wouldn't mind could I possible leave it here when I am not using it? I wont be charging you for it when its not in use.

19. grandview

and don't forget you want to keep it plugged in to.