1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal account problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

While replying to another post I had a question come up. I plow and salt a local Doctor's office, he signed the contract in October and on it, it stated the lot will be plowed and salted during normal business hours (which were Mon-Fri) now his wife calls me and says they will be open additional hours, Mon and Thursday until 7pm and Sat from 9-1pm. I sent him a letter stating I would have to charge him an additional fee if we are needed at any of these times. I think this is fair what do you guys think.:waving:
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Wouldn't you normally plow if it snowed after hours anyway???
  3. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I think that would be fair if there was an agreement in your contract that you will keep his lot clear during business hours only if snow was still accumulating. but again I dont think that makes much sense as LB landscaping mentioned, why wouldnt you plow afterhours also. my customers dont care as long as there lot is from snow or ice.
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My last time to plow them until the next business day was 530pm. They closed at 5pm so as they were leaving the lot was cleared. But now like I said I will have to be there later and possibly plow them 1-2 more times on Mon and Thurs. and also all day on Saturdays. Last year if we had any snow overnight I left it until the next morning, around 5am. No one was there so why waste the time plowing it 2 or 3 times a night if no one is there.
  5. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Brian, I wouldnt think you should have to change anything . I can see your point , but if it snows on Sat. you still will have to plow that storm on monday for there business ours. So regardless what day or time it snows , at some point you have to plow it for them anyways. ?? Maybe I'm wrong.
  6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I guess I don't see the problem. You'll be out plowing anyway, they are only open until 7pm (I assume they closed around 5pm) so you wouldn't have to plow anything extra those nights. As far as Saturday goes they are only open for 4 hours so its not like you'll have to be there all day to keep it clear. How much snow accumulation is allowed before another visit.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

"the lot will be plowed and salted during normal business hours"

Why would this be in there?

I can see having it done by. But during? Is it a gated lot? Are you just trying to show up so owner will see you?

I hate doing places that are open. You make it sound like you have to be there from time they open till they close. Maybe I am missing something.
  8. BDB

BDB Senior Member

What does the contract read? Ask them for more! It's going to cost you more to do it!? How well do you like them....good customer? Or plow it as many times as in the past just over a longer time frame. You are in buss. to make money. If not you can always come plow for me!:D
  9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I got a bill for close to $ 700.00 for the doctor to look at a chemical burn on my shoulder , I waited in the office for 2 hours and he spent less than 5 minutes looking at it and sent me home with some ointment ..

I would bill them for each time you raise the plow , each time you lower the plow , each time you put it in drive and each time you put it in reverse . Also count each piece of salt , and ask for a refferal
  10. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

Good one Matt, ya had me rolling!:bluebounc
  11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

The Mon-Thurs hours make no difference. Since they're only open 2 extra hours, there's not going to be any significant accumulation anyways. If you do get the one or two freak storms that it's actually snowing 1-2" / hour after the original hours, well, so be it.

However the Saturday hours ARE extra, because now you're under the gun to get that lot cleared. HOWEVER however, in the past, if it snowed at 8 pm on Friday, would you wait until 7 am Monday morning to plow? Or would you plow it Friday evening / Saturday??

For your comment on plowing 2-3 times / night if no one is there, that answers your own question.

Again, the only situation that I see arise from this, is that if you already had a full list of businesses / accounts that were set up to be opened before 7 am on Saturday, assuming that this one could wait until 9 or 10am before you had to get it plowed, THAT could cause a problem.

As for charging more just because they're open an extra 10 or so hours / week, no, I don't charge my seasonals that way. They get billed on total events / year. If the snow falls when the place isn't open, say over New Years, then great. If I've got to get things opened up while some place is open for business, then that's life.

As for waiting until 5 am to get started on plowing this lot, is that because you're plowing other accounts? Or because you're just not wanting to plow at night?