1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

seashell parking lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rawdog, Dec 20, 2008.

1. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

anyone have to plow seashell (clam shell) parking lots or driveways? got asked to do a place with a seashell parking lot with brick crosswalks and some asphalt areas to top it off...I dont know what to do about the seashells...
  2. Plow it like gravel. You just have to ride the plow height very carefully and will probably end up leaving a coating of snow behind. It's the best to expect with that kind of surface. I plowed one the other night and it wasn't pretty, but at least it's passable for cars now.
  3. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Not exactly sure what these seashell parking lots look like but a 6.5' plow I bought a few years ago had a rubber cutting edge on it. The story I was told was that it was used for plowing cobblestone sidewalks. Maybe try a rubber edge?
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

rubber cutting edge...

plow shoes will scrap where the shoes are.

that or the cheap way...just don't plow in float over the shells. Drop your plow, raise it an inch and leave it there, and go slow...you must push straight all of the time for this to work.
  5. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

i was thinkin the cheap way... i dont think the shells are packed enough to really drop the blade rubber or not..thanks
  6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i have never plowed any thing like you described , ( i thought you ment shape when i was reading your first post ) lol

anyway , i would use a rubber cutting edge or just not do it at all.
  7. I don't think a rubber edge would make any difference. Treat the surface as you would a gravel lot: raise the plow a little or don't accept the job.
  8. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I was thinking shape too lol but in Central NY we dont have too many seashell parking lots! good luck out there on the coast
  9. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

haha sorry should have clarified... people put down crushed clam shells instead of stone out here..such a pain in the ass... you cant walk on them barefoot, they smell for the first month or two...and now its a pain to plow them...