1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Searching for weekend project/more power

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by griffithtlc, Sep 6, 2003.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

I was wondering what the least expensive mods you can make to a Cummins(94). I see a lot about advancing the timing about 14 degrees. I have looked into the shop manuel about this, and I can't find it, so how do you do it? also, what other mods would you recommend, that the average joe can do for cheap? I know my way around the dodge trucks, but am still learning about the cummins.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Do the KDP,or killer dowel pin.See the link beloew to the TDR for information.It can ruin your expensive Cummins.

Remove the cat,and straight pipe the exhaust.Put a BHAF,or big honkin air filter on it.That's a start.

The timing is a hard job,and requires special tools.Get a heavy truck shop to price it for you.

You could also join the TDR.www.turbodieselregister.com
    Lots of good info and maybe people nearby who could come help you with the timing,and KDP.At least go over there and read up on the 12 valve engine,and possible mods.

Sliding the plate forward will wake it up,as well as adjusting the star wheel on the AFC housing.

Here is a pic of the BHAF on my truck.

truck underhood.jpg

3. guff72

guff72 Junior Member
    from kansas

There is a place called TST products that sell aftermarket performance parts for diesel trucks. They have a kit for 94' model trucks for about $250 that will give you quite abit of added performance. The website is www.tstproducts.com

Good Luck

4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Chris, Is there a kit for the BHAF avail?

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

No,you just need the filter,and yank out the old airbox.You may need to get a piece of PVC to fit inside the hose,so it doesn't collapse when you clamp it down.

6. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Which filter is used? It looks like it has a lip for a hose clamp on it.

7. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

Other good websites for Cummins

I would also recommend going to www.nwbombers.com, www.dieseltruckresource.com. They both offer some great info about modifing the Dodge Cummins, what to look out for, recalls, just about anything you would like to know and great people also.

8. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

If you have the stick, you'll be fine until you add enough to slip the clutch. If you have an automatic, plan on spending some bucks on that because it won't last long with added hp.

One very handy mod is the GSK (governor spring kit) for your fuel pump. It alows the engine to pull right up to 3000 RPM (or a little more) before cutting off the the fuel. Mine would fall on its face and have notheing more at about 2100.

It really expands the useable powerband in the mighty Cummins. :nod: Get em here. They are in the middle section just under the TST plate described above.