1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Searching for Used Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Landscape89, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 Junior Member

Hello,
    I am going to be turning 16 years old soon and upon getting my permit I am searching for a used plow truck. Any hints about what to look for and price ranges? Thanks for the help! :waving:

2. chuckers

chuckers Member

What are your plans and have you thought about insurance? Do you have work arranged? I wouuld seriously think about holding off for a few years at least till 18 but im not here to ruin dreams.

3. trying to make

trying to make Member

scary scenario

If you are not experienced in buying used trucks,stay away from used trucks with plows.If you insist on doing this take a very good and trusted mechanic with you.Used truck no plow.Buy new plow.better choice.I doubt many people on this sight will disagree.used plow trucks 4 sale= used up plow truck 4 sale almost always.

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Where in Eastern MA?
    I was in the same situation as you a few years ago and I found, unfortunatley, that it is either spend more money in the beginning or pay in repairs. It depends upon what you are looking for when it comes to transportation, if its just a plow truck fine, if its your daily transportation then you definately want to make sure its in decent shape. The 20 or so days a year that you will have the plow on are far outweighed by your need to be able to get around everyday. I know i looked at plenty of plow trucks that were not alot of money but would not have been reliable for me, i would have spend double the initial cost difference between a decent truck and that truck on repairs. If you are bent on buying a truck with a plow on it, look in the classifieds there are plenty of them, most of them high milage and regular cabs. Most, in my experience, need work and have been driven hard. Its hard to find any decent 4X4 pick up for under 10K. You can get something that may be OK for about 5K. New plows are expensive, at least 3K. Expect a truck with a plow to potentially be beat up. Have a mechanic look at it before you buy it otherwise you could end up in a bad situation fast. Iam your age, i don't have alot of money compared to most adults but when it comes to plowing equipment I save up my money to do it right and not have to worry about problems in the future. My primary goal if i was in your situation would be to make sure you get reliable transportation first then worry about the plow. What kind of trucks are you considering, ext cab, reg cab, year, mileage?