1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

searching for best resi plow truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bcf, Feb 2, 2005.

1. bcf

bcf Senior Member

By now I realize my extended cab long bed is not what I need for driveway, so I am not going to fix it up this year. I have been thinking about something smaller to drive around, do estimates, and plow. I was thinking either a Big Bronco or Jeep, CJ or Wrangler. Anyone care to give their opinions on either, or any other vehicle to look at. It jsut seems that having one truck to haul and plow with is not a good idea with the small drives I do. Plus I'm geting sick of backing into parking spots. thanks for the input. :drinkup:
  2. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

A big bronco? why not a k5 blazer. It is a great truck for all around especially the great turning radius.
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well, since you are considering small stuff like a jeep, consider an S-truck or Jimmy/Blazer (or even a bronco II). Turn on a dime, tough as nails...
  4. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

A regular Cherokee turns on a dime too. Solid front axle too.
  5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

My neighbor plows with a Jeep Wrangler, it goes through anything and is very manuverable. He's got a Curtis plow on it, work real good.
  6. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I have a Big Bronco that I use and I couldnt be happier. Turns on a dime and with the 351 motor nothing stops it. I plowed the last storm(17") and never had a problem with pushing the snow. I have a few residentials and the turning radius makes them easy to plow.
    I can only speak about this truck but if you put a set of timbrens on the front it has no problem with a plow.
  7. Derrick in NJ

Derrick in NJ Member

You can always buy the nice 1990 Dodge Ramcharger I have for sale :) . Thing turns on a dime and is extremely maneuverable in tight spots.
  8. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

I plan on putting a plow on my broncoII. But first I have to replace the auto trans. for a manual. I blew the first auto last year and never should have replaced it with another auto. Oh well thats why its nice having a brother in law who is a mechanic and a father in law with a heated shop and all the tools.
  9. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I have a 86 CJ7 and it works great for resi's ,and small commercials. If I had it to do over though I probably would go for a Bronco II just because of comfort. The jeep is a work horse but not comfortable at all. So much so that I will probably be looking to sell this and go to a pickup with plow this spring.
  10. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

11. Derrick in NJ

Derrick in NJ Member

Mikelawton, looking for 2500 obo for it. There's a thread about it in the classified board, along with pictures.

POWERBAND Member

res Plows

I plow a number of tight driveway residences often with vehicles parked along the drives. I always used a full size HD P/U plow truck due to the amount of snow we often get here and my little Isuzu with a 2 meter Meyer's to finish the tight parking pads and drives.

A friend gave me a beater - short bed / regular cab / Western 7.5' '85 Chevy plow truck and for me, I found the perfect setup. The SB/Std cab full size plow truck was the perfect combination of power and size. It would push any snow I encountered and the short size allowed me to fully clear even the tightest drives and pads.

The problem I have is that the beater '85 SB/STD CAB I was given is totally shot and when I went to shop a brand new one there is not much offered now by Chev/Ford/Dodge. Toy/Niss only offers extended cab commuter car-trucks. I always used Chev's but they only want to sell "14 speaker-onstar-cup holder-chrome wheeled-stabiltraked-IFS-DRL'd-DVD'd-XM'd-heated seat GIRLY MAN" trucks. In fact Chevy doesn't make a Short Bed or a standard shift with the plow package (read voided warranty) . I found that the major plow mfg's don't offer a full size plow for shortbed Fords and the Dodge was also not available equipped like my '85 beater.
    I settled on an '04 Standard cab/Short box Silverado but I could not get it with the plow package. I also could only get a standard tranny with the 4.3 V6 which I find more torquey than the newer small V8's anyway but I miss the confidence of the HD tranny and power of the old '85 beater.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  13. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Thanks for all your views guys. i've always wanted a Big Bronco, and although it probablly wouldn't trun as tight as a CJ or Wrangler, it still is pretty maneuvererable, and could still tow pallet of concrete or salt. I also like the old boxy style of the Cherokees, so those two are what I'll most likely be going to concentrate finding. The blazer is another option, probably on par with the Bronco. I really find it handy to have a back seat, and the extended cab just adds to a trucks dimensions. I don't have anything against GM, but I've been driving and fixing up Fords all my life, so I'm just more comfortable with them, althought I love my 6.2 dually truck. Just wish it was 4wd.

My insurance won't cover a Bronco II. I forget what reason my agent gave me. I thought it was the short wheelbase, but I just spoke to him yesterday and he said most Wranglers and Cj's from the '80s are ok. I guess luck seemed to play a part in what short wheelbased vehicles get in more accidents.

Since I already have the 7'6" Western Pro, would it be possibel to mount it on any of the aforementioned vehicles, or would it be too heavy?

Thanks agian for the help.
  14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

<i>" I've been driving and fixing up Fords all my life"</i>

You and many others.
  15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That plow would work fine on the big Bronco or similarly sized trucks. The Cherokee and smaller trucks might find it a bit heavy. Do you have a frame mount for it already? What was it from? If I'm not mistaken (which I could be b/c I am not a Ford guy) the mount from an '80-93? pickup should fit up to the last years of the Bronco....

Although that Ramcharger mentioned above looks really nice too, seems like a good deal. Its listed in the for sale section with pix. Probably better suited to someone like Mylittlescoop who already has the ramcharger blade sitting around in the yard...
  16. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

Get a Wrangler TJ. With a 4.0L and auto. I got one and it is the best for driveways. I have a 5-speed, get the auto tranny. And in the summer take the top off and take a drive down to the beach in your plow truck.
  17. Doc_77

Doc_77 Junior Member

if i had to do driveways i wouldn't think twice about selling my truck and buying a jeep.
  18. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

Get the Jeep TJ

I love my Jeep TJ, 4.0 L, auto, works great for drives, I have a 6.5 foot blade. I am considering getting a second and equipping it with the Blizzard 720lt, just to have a it a little wider.