1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sealing up fittings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frostysnow, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

Hey, when you guys swap out fittings and hoses, what do you guys use to seal up the threads. I use teflon tape on air hoses and such but i don't have much experience with hydraulics.

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

In my Fisher manual it says not to use anything on the threads- I already replaced one hose without putting anything on the threads and it's doing fine. I would say to do whatever your manual says, but for Fisher (and probably Western too), it's no sealant/tape.:nod:

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I use teflonn tape on hydraulic fittings all the time. Haven't had any problems. JMO

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Hydraulic fittings DO NOT require any sealant of any kind.
    Most manuals will tell you that sealent is a no, no.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Unless its a pipe thread fitting no sealant.

Do not use Tape on hydralics, most pumps cant break down the tape if any gets into the system.

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

probably need tape on the fitting that goes into the angle cylinder?

7. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

to answer the Q' IMO it all depends what kind of fitting it is. but teflon tape is fine on hyd's. i have too many machines held together with bubble gum and tape:D

i fit is a o-ring or a "JIC" fitting no you do not need sealant

if it is a pipe thread you will need to use something and teflon tape is fine. just don't get carried away with it and wrap it around the hole in the fitting (keep it on the threads where it will do some good)

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

On the fitting that goes into the angle cylinder?

IT should be a tapered pipe fitting,
    tighten until it does not leak or it could have an O-ring then just snug it up tight.

If it still leaking, ether the fitting is bent or the threads in the ram are going bad.

(if you still have a leak then use a small amount of tape a last ditch measure.)
    If it has an O-ring replace the o-ring.

most leak around the swivel becuse it is bent.

It takes very little sealant/tape or goop to clog your filter.
    This can lead to sluggish operation to premature failure of the pump.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

If you do use tape, I would leave a couple threads on the bottom exposed so it has less of a chance of comming off and running thru the hydralics. You might luck out and it might get into the filters before causing any damage

10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Tape should not be used on the fittings that go into the angle cylinders though, should it?

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

What type of fitting is it?

12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

The part that goes to the hose end is a F-JIC fitting, thread into the angle cylinder.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The end that goes into the ram if it has an o-ring, no sealant.
    If it is tapered it should not need any sealant ether.
    BUT... if the threads are damaged(in the ram) some tape may be necessary to stop it from leaking.
    I would tighten it first and see if it stops leaking.

A straight fitting or plummer fitting should be avoided in a hydraulic application, but can be used in a pinch with good results.

The end that the hose connects to, do not use any sealant as the threads do not make the seal. It would be a wast of sealant.

14. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

yea, i guess i should have clarified, it is the fitting that goes into the ram. The new insert goes in fine i was just asking because it looked like the old fitting had some tape. But i won't use any if i dont have to. Thank you! This is why i love this site!

15. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Snowplows + Tape = Very bad. I have torn apart far to many meyer pumps to find clogged filters from broken down tape that some yahoo put on their fittings. 99% hydraulic fittings do NOT require anything. They are machined fittings, that seat and seal when tightened.