1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sealed beam vs quad halogen headlights

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by NicholasMWhite, Nov 17, 2013.

1. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

I have the old sealed beam head lights on both my Hinikers which suck and have been considering the upgrade to the quad halogens on my primary plow (These).

Just looking for opinions from those who have used both. Is it worth the money to upgrade? Are the significantly brighter?

I feel like the sealed ones are boarder line unsafe, and the low beams are useless.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I havened used those particular lights BUT I feel the same about the sealed glass type ones. Terrible lights. I personally bought the glass lights that have the replaceable light bulbs Much better IMO
  3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Never used the hiniker sealed beam, but I got the quad & they great compared to old fisher,meyer,boss lights I've seen.(which I assume are sealed beam) When I pull next to another plow you really see the differance.
  4. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I replaced my Hiniker sealed units with Hella reflectors (replaceable bulbs) and installed PIAA super white bulbs. You will LOVE the light output!
  5. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I just upgraded my sealed beam Peterson's standard plow lights with some Amazon sealed beam conversion housings and Hella H4 bulbs. The housings were supposed to be DOT approved housings (same PN that Summit racing carries) but they were some Taiwanese knock off with no DOT markings and some blue bulb inside. Regardless they are much better than sealed beams in terms of output. Need to spend more time trying to aim sense the pattern seems to suck. Really wish they were DOT approved versions and will likely try those from summit for $30 for the pair before dropping the $90 for Hellas. The quad halogens should be better because the hi and low are different lenses/bulbs, but there are some less expensive upgrade options.