1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sealed Beam replacements for H3/H4 bulbs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DeereGuy, Oct 16, 2004.

1. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I'm not to happy with the stock sealed beams on my Fisher X-Blade. You'd think for that kind of $ they could outfit the plow with something decent. A quality reflector and lens with a replaceable bulb (PIAA H3 or similar). This may sound like nit-picking to some but what a drag going from an 04 Chevy stock head lamp to the stock sealed beam on the fisher. Especially given the weather cond. that you're out in when plowing. Any of you done this conversion? What brand did you use etc.

Thanks
    -Deereguy

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I talk to the guys at western every year at plow school and the topic halogen lighting came up. They have looked at that issue several times, the problem comes down to cost. They wouldnt give a dollar amount but said it would add a substantial cost to the plows but they keep looking for ways to improve lighting without a large increase in price.

3. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Crash935,
    Thanks for commenting
    I've looked at a few sites and perhaps I don't know the extent of the conversion but it seems like they have kits for $50- $125. depending on quality. This is at the retail level. So what are we talking about; maybe a $25. or less increase in their cost on a $4K plow. If that were a problem, maybe manufacturers could offer the upgrade at an additional cost.

Am I simplifying it too much? I'm not talking HID, with all that it would entail, just up to date lighting.

The reason I started this post was more to get feedback on actual products or reputable sites since the units I've seen don't mention a brand name except on the bulbs. They usually are packaged with PIAA or White Lightening bulbs etc.. The engineering on the reflector and lens is an unknown to me with out a name like Hella, PIAA Etc.