1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

seal strobe tubes?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by RhinoL&L, Jan 13, 2008.

1. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

i have a set of hideaway strobes i am going to be installing soon and was wondering if i should seal the connections with anything? some people have said to put silicon on them but others have said not to because silicon is corrosive. any ideas?
  2. FteNelson

FteNelson Member

dielectric grease :cool:

stuffs amazing man best part is even if theres moisture in there it wont be affected and wont corrode :)
  3. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I just put my old set up in my 07NBS the ones I found that have the biggest problem is the rears. I used a piece of 3/4" shrink tubing slide it over the cable connected the strobe slide it back and heated it with a lighter shrunk done nice and tight then for added security I elect. tape the ends back about 3-4" we have had some rain this past week and I run the highway alot and they still worked
  4. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

5. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

thanks for the help guys. my only question is should i use dielectric grease or silicon? i dont know about silicon because someone said it will corrode them. is this true? i am not good with this kind of stuff so sorry for the stupid question. thanks
  6. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

when i installed mine ... i took off the plastic connectors and got that heat shrink tubing and hard wired the bulbs to the cables then heat shrinked the metal connections ... moisture proof .. and weather proofed permanently ... until cut off ..
  7. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Use dielectric grease where they connect, and silicone in the backs of the connectors....fill the gaps up good and you'll be fine.
  8. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

ok thanks for the help guys! now if only i had some know how so these things didnt look so hard to install. LOL i will try to do them in the next week or two. thanks for the help.