1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seafoam

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 86burban, Feb 16, 2005.

1. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Ive seen this discussed at another website. Im wondering what this is, how it works, and what do you add it too. I saw it at Advance a few weeks ago and wondering if I should try it out.

Thanks,

Tony

2. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

Just another mechanic in a bottle product. Something to lighten your wallet, that's all. If there is something wrong with your truck, nothing in a bottle will help fix it. It will only help delay or mask the problems.

There's something to be said for routine maintenance.

3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I totally disagree, this coming from an ex ASE certified mechanic of 10 years.

Seafoam is NOT a gimmick. It is a cleaning agent that can be added to your gas or oil. I have a problem with a sticking lifter causing a rough idle on my 98 Dodge with 190k miles on it. This stuff works!

It is also very inexpensive. We actually tested other products by dipping a carbon covered valve in it for 15 minutes then lightly rubbing it with a rag. Nothing came close to the effectiveness.

It does thin oil, so if you add it to your oil try to keep it in for 500 miles or less (thats what I do)

I had extremely dirty oil from sludge buildup inside my engine, after a few oil changes 1000 miles apart running the seafoam for 500 miles of each, my oil is now almost the same color as straight from the bottle.

The truck still has great oil pressure, and does not burn, or leak a drop.

I too use to laugh at products like this. But it really does work well. It is used for cleaning carbon biuildup or sludge buildup inside your motor.

4. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

5. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

you can use it through a vaccum line to suck it directly into the motor instead of dilluting it also. Change your plugs aftwards because the carbon being burnt off will shrink your plug gaps dramatically. I have seen to many screw ups with the oil so i wouldn't take a chance with that but i would use it again, if yo read the back side of stabil it says it does the same thing. There is also Chevron TEchron cleaner that is jsut like seafoam but gm version

6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I have only seen Seafoam used to winterize boat engines, it coats the cylinder walls preventing rust.

7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I agree with ksland for the most part. If you're having problems from buildup of deposits, be it on injectors, behind rings, valves, carb passages, etc., it may improve conditions. Things like this won't repair scored cylinders or worn parts but they can and do clean things up. Our Lightning with dual tanks had problems switching from one tank to the other. It would not get enough gas from the rear tank. It was either a can of seafoam or b-12 that cleaned it up and no problems since. Sometimes the claims on the bottle or can of items like this are kind of vague or let you believe they will help all performance problems. Not so. You have to determine what is causing the problem first and if something just needs cleaning due to neglect or poor tuning, there's a good chance it will help. However, you may still need to correct the problem that caused the condition. What caused th deposits? Too many short trips without getting to operating temps, misadjustments, poor maintenance of filters and oil, pcv valves, etc.