1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

seafoam

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodgegmc1213, Apr 28, 2014.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

I got a 04 ram 2500 with a little over 119k miles. I always used seafoam in the gas at every oil change. From now on im gonna be adding it to the oil about 50-100 miles before its time to change. But I want to add it through the vacuum line and do the internal cleaning but I read a few threads that it might not be a good choice on high mileage trucks. Anyone do this on high mileage vehicle? Results?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I cleaned out my 01 (gasser)at 100k, it now has 127k and no additional leaks .
    When I did the crank. I dumped it into a warm engine, then let it idle for 1/2hr.
    Putting a load/ driving on the thinned out oil just didn't sit well with me.

I did it to my 68charger (440) at 85k and no leaks developed.
    did the 74 sno-comander at 95k and no leaks developed.

I don't do it more than one time, if you change the oil regularly and don't get things to hot you really shouldn't need to do the crank.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  3. dodgegmc1213

i put it in the crankcase about 2 years ago that was the last time I did it. but about a month ago I had both heads rebuilt, so probably to early to put it in the oil? maybe once every year or so? I deff want to do the internal cleaning through the vacuum line.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I do the vacuum line "smoke show" once a year on the gassers that are a few years old and older that see a lot of idle time.

5. dodgegmc1213

specially being a plow truck it idles alot