1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Seafoam a 6.0

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mayhem, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

High time I finally got around to doing this at 138k, but I have no idea where to pour the stuff in. I need to know in a specific way, what is the most effective way to get this stuff into my motor so I can do a good cleaning? Pics would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.

2. I put it in the gas tank...of everything I own from the chain saw all the way up and through the boat.

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Not to definetly in the tank

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Just find a vac line off the intake and you are in business.

5. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I think most people say 1/3 of the can into the gas tank, 1/3 into motor oil (although I have read mixed views on this), and 1/3 into vacuum line/brake booster

6. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

dont put it in the oil it acts as an bearing wash and will lead to bad things

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

A buddy of mine said he puts it in the gas tank.

8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

DIDO on that, Gas tank only

9. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

gas tank or vacuum line going to the intake are the best places for seafoam if you are going to do a top end cleaning use the vacuum line coming off the brake booster

10. mayhem

from Peru MA

Right, I understand that...problem is (and I don't want to sound like an idiot but at times its unavoidable) I don't know where the vacuum line is off the brake booster.

I am assuming brake booster is the master cylinder, perhaps thats part of the reason I can't find it. I tried pulling the large rubber hose off the bottom of the master cylinder that looks an awful lot like a big vacuum line to me and it definitely wasn;t as it was full of fluid that proceeded to go all over the place while I reconnected it in a panic.

I put a full bottle in the gas tank when I filled it from empty yesterday and have used it in the past in my wife's Audi in the crankcase to address a minor sludging problem.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  11. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

[That must have been quite a thrill.

If you have the truck in your sig. (2500) than you don't have a vaccum line to your master cylinder. You have hydroboost brakes which use pressure from the power steering pump. If the truck was running there must have been a lot of steering fluid all over. This is flamable so I hope it was cleaned of the exhaust.

I am assuming brake booster is the master cylinder, perhaps thats part of the reason I can't find it. I tried pulling the large rubber hose off the bottom of the master cylinder that looks an awful lot like a big vacuum line to me and it definitely wasn;t as it was full of fluid that proceeded to go all over the place while I reconnected it in a panic.

I put a full bottle in the gas tank when I filled it from empty yesterday and have used it in the past in my wife's Audi in the crankcase to address a minor sludging problem.[/QUOTE]

12. mayhem

from Peru MA

It was exciting to say the least. It dumped all over the hot manifold...I was lucky it didn't burn the truck up...it just made an awful stink.

So I guess just pop the manifold cover off and just look for a convenient vacuum line.

13. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i put it in the gas tank of all my lawn care equipment but haven't tried it in the truck yet

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Use the vacuum line for the PCV valve. Or pull the air duct off and pour it directly down the throttle body. Leave the throttle closed, just pour it in slowly.

15. mayhem

from Peru MA

So I had some time yesterday, here's what I did...now what did I do wrong?

Pulled the large vacuum hose off near the throttle body (the remarkably clean looking hose in the pic), started the truck and slowly poured a half can of seafoam into the hose. Shut the motor down, reattached the hose and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. Went out, started it up and went for a drive. I got almost no smoke out of the exhaust which leads me to suspect that I've done exactly nothing and probably used the wrong line. It was right there, wasn't full of any fluid and had a mild vacuum on it when the truck was running, but not a more typical air sucking noisy vacuum like you get when one of the hoses comes off.

So did I get it right and my engine was just fairly clean or did I just dump a half bottle of seafoam into a fuel return line or evap line or something?

IMG00062-20110316-1707.jpg

16. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

hard to tell from the picture, but that appears to go from the valve cover to the throttle body.

17. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

in other words, if i read your last post correctly, you just dumped it into your oil.

18. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

I've always dumped a can into the tank. Full tank of course. I'm starting to read about better results using Startron rather than Seafoam. Probably going to make the switch.

19. mayhem

from Peru MA

Which explains why I didn't get the expected smoke show out of the exhaust. I was going to change my oil tomorrow anyway so its just as well I suppose.

So now I'm full circle here...searching for a good vacuum line to put this stuff in through.

Probably should have just done this. Do I need to use a funnel or something to get it in there without it dumping all over the place or will there be enough vacuum to suck it in as long as I pour it slowly?