1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sea/Shipping Container for Bulk Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PGHplowguy, Nov 16, 2011.

1. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Hello, many of you have already helped me to get to this point. Thank you.

Alright, instead of a pile of bulk salt on my gravel driveway I think i am going the sea or shipping container route.

Questions are;

Better to rent or buy? It is hard to find a price online to buy. I'm reading anywhere from $1500-$3000. What should I expect to pay for new AND pay for used?

Do any of you recommend a company/web site to go through?

Should I buy new or buy used?

I've spoke to Zoresco and they rent them out for $75/month, but "strictly" enforce no bulk salt storage. More or less you have to pay for repairs to the unit. Will having the purple salt, Slicer, in it for 4 months really do any noticeable damage?

Are all 20' L containers the same Height and Width? Interior Height of 7'10'' and Width of 7'8''.

Will I have enough room to not only enter, but also operate a bobcat/skid steer bucket?

Any Cons on this method of storage? I am using the purple salt which does not clump.

Again, thanks for the help.
  2. Bigsnowny

Bigsnowny Member

PGHplowguy, Heres an idea that may help you out. I'm trying it myself this season. I have to box stores this year that are a hour away and they will not allow me to have a stock pile of salt on the property, But they have agreed to allow me to store salt in a 11 yrd. open top container that 10' L x 7'W x 4'H and it has a cover that I made out shrink wrap like what they use too cover boats with for the winter. Have to make ramps to get into the container. I can fill it from the side. Cost me $425.00 to rent for the season. Going to work great for me and I think it will work well for you too.
  3. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

$1,500 To 3 k ? wow I would jump on it. I was quoted localy 4k to 6k. Guess their is some kind of shortage on them plus the cost of steel jumped. They work ok for salt storage. You need to line the inside with plywood to keep the skid steer bucket from punching thru the sides. Other problem is loading them unless you can get a stone slinger truck to deleiver your salt. With the slinger truck we can get 35 ton into a 20' container, no slinger just skid steer maybe 20 ton.
  4. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Scary post.... 3K is just what I read online, may not be a reliable source. I will not know until tomorrow when I start calling places.

I plan on 1 tri-axle load at a time to store in a 20'. So 23 tons.

With 23 tons in there being wall to wall how high will the salt get to? 3-4 feet???

I'm thinking of cutting 2x12's and stacking them every 5 feet in order to keep the spilling down and to fit more in. Good idea? Easy to accomplish?
  5. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

I like the container idea. I was thinking that when you first posted. But how about this. If you are buying it, make your small walls on the inside to stop spillage ( I would weld weld or bolt rails in place to slide the 2x12's in to). Then measure your bucket and cut access doors in the top of your container. Make them about 1 foot wider total than the bucket, and half the width of the top of the container. That way you could put your wall in place then open the top and drop it right in place. If the inside is 7 foot tall you could make 6 foot high walls or even 5 foot and have more storage effiency. Just a thought.
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I use storage containers, and am actually looking at going with open tops this year, maybe try out two. I have several locations where I store bulk salt so I always have salt close to all my accounts.

I can comfortably get 20 yards in with a skid steer, hoping for more with the open top. My only concern is not having a roof, will it be structurally sound enough where the walls won't push out sideways from the weight of the salt on the walls.

Here is a picture of what 25-30 yards (not tons) of salt looks like in a 20' aluminum container. I don't have a price on it because it was given to me. But the steel ones around here are going for $1500-$3000 depending on condition, most commonly around $2500. Bad picture, but with the lighting its as good as its getting. We had to do some shoveling to fit that much in, but its what I had left over from last season. That is as high as it can possibly be stacked with a skid steer, you can notice all the scrapes on the ceiling.. :rolleyes:

7. CoastalSnow&Ice

CoastalSnow&Ice Junior Member

i rent a 40ft con x box every winter. fits salt fine. loaded with skid.
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I was debating buying one vs. renting one but at 2k, thats a lot of years renting it and they recondition them every year. We got the same one back that we used last year and it looks brand new. Ours goes for 65/month and a 100.00 each time they move it. Your right, you can fit about 20-23 tons and that about the max for a tri-axle load so it works out perfect for us. I was going to rent a 40ft so I could put our skid steer in there too but I don't know if the salt residue in the air would speed up the already quick rusting problems.
  9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

There's plenty of warehouses and ports by you in Jersey that I'm quite sure you can get a good used 20'er delivered in the $2K-$2500 range.Seems to me a no-brainer vs. renting.
  10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

just bought our second container this year for salt. It matches our first one, same color etc... The condition of the units is important to us b/c its on site at an hoa and I dont want them to complain about rusty units.

Our first container stores our asv rc100 with erskine snowblower, little toro sidewalk blower, shovels, fuel etc... the second container will store our salt. still trying to decide if I want to get a slinger to load it at 76 per ton, or if ill get a dump trucks worth (22tons) at 62 per ton. problem with the slinger is you can only get about 18tons in it.

we paid 2600 for the 20' container last year and 2900 this year. They said the steel prices and demand has caused the prices to go up.

last years unit:
  11. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Wow, Tight squeeze with that blower on. You might have to get out the Fluid Film to get it unstuck:laughing:
  12. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

You can get a wind & water tight unit for $2200 on average there. The ***** is the delivery fee to me in Pgh, PA is a min. of $1800. Anything I've found close to me to buy is $3800 and up. If anyone knows a place that sells W&W units for a good price please let me know. I have 2 weeks before my rental is delivered.
  13. Bigsnowny

Bigsnowny Member

PGHplowguy, Here is the container that I'm using on two sites. Load from the top and unload from the back. Cover will held down by bungee cords.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'd make up some ridge poles of some sort or the tarp is going to be swimming pool liner.
  15. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

We debated this a couple of years ago and after doing hundreds of searchs on salt pile and salt bins. We went with delivery by stone slinger and into 20 ft containers. These containers are on year three and are just staring to show some salt-wear. But we drive our small 313 right in side.. one of the good things about small machines.. I really like the containers.

16. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the photos. How many tons can you get in there using the slinger? Also, is that floor steel or dark plywood?
  17. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

I got 26 ton into the one container the other one I lost track...they have the dark wood floors.
  18. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We rented a 40' container 2 years ago. $110 month x 5 = $550 plus $140 pick up and deliver = $280. Total $790 for one year. Last year found one on craigs list for $1300 with $300 delivery fee and I didn't have to find somewhere to store the extra salt for the summer. Took alot of searching and a drive but worth every cent.