1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Screwed Tranny ??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by B&E snowplowing, Dec 9, 2009.

1. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

Hey all I have a weird problem. Went out plowing this morning, then back to the office were I parked the truck, at 5pm I got in the truck to drive home and I have no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear. I have reverse, and 1st but nothing else. I tried shifting manually and still nothing. 4wd still works great. I'm stumped. It is a 1995 GMC 2500 with the 4L80E tranny. This Tranny was rebuilt last winter, and since the rebuild I have done about 16,000 km. Checked the fluid it was full and red, and didn't smell burnt, and I have no check engine lights come on.

Weird thing is, that it was fine this morning, then after sitting for 8 hrs, its screwed.

Thanks for your input
    Brian

2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I'd be calling the guy who rebuilt and to find out what's up. Must of come with some sort of warranty.

3. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I'd put money on its just a relay

4. Wildman_fab

Wildman_fab Junior Member

Yea sounds like you might have gotten the plug on the oustide wet or it fell off. I would be calling the guy.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wet NSBU switch and/or connectors on it. not uncommon for them to lose their weather sealing abilities as they age.

Get a fresh one on there and check the connectors for water intrusion. Dielectric grease and then a coat of Fluid Film over the entire switch/harness. :nod:

6. farmer1009

farmer1009 Junior Member

I had the same problem with my 92 suburban last year, and it ended up being caused by moisture freezing and seperating a connection. Of course three months later the tranny blew out anyways, but made it through the winter.

7. B&E snowplowing

OMG thank you very much for the input, I'm thinking it must be the connector, because I let the truck sit for 5 hours while I went christmas shopping with the wife, came back and took it for a drive and it is shifting fine, so looks like I am crawling under the truck in the morning.

Again thanks for the quick replys.

Have a great season.
    Brian

8. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

shifted took a shiptt

more like the 1-2 boost valve in the tranny valve body.valve stuck in the bore..that is a 4L60E ...other coroded wire plug terminal..

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

He specifically stated the trans is a 4L80E. Have to believe he's aware of which trans the truck is equipped with.

10. B&E snowplowing

I am positive it's a 4L80E.