1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scratching cars with brooms

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow2345ffs, Dec 23, 2015.

1. snow2345ffs

snow2345ffs Junior Member

last year I didn't even remove snow from others' cars for the most part in fear that I would scratch it. Too bad for them because once I leave and they clear the car, there's a ton of snow on the ground I just cleared. Some I cleaned with a push broom.

I just found the snow BRUM, a rubber broom basically made to not scratch cars. I searched BRUM here but didn't see it discussed. Does anyone just leave the snow on cars so they're not liable for alleged scratches? I know you can ask the owner if they're okay with you being gentle and %95 will probably say please clean it, but sometimes you're at an apartment building or something like 8 cars and can't find all the owners to ask.
    Thing that worries me about the BRUM is if it's icy, the BRUM won't scratch it but dragging a chunk of ice might. It's like comparing the risk that ice might scratch it vs leaving a big pile of snow on cars after clearing the pavement and them coming out to see it after like WTF?! Please discuss. thanks.

BRUM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p00Mf61H-es
  2. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I can't speak for clearing others cars but I can say that I got one of these last year to clear my cars and I love it, no issues scratching any of the family cars. Only change I made was I replaced the cheap handle with a broom handle from Lowes, much more efficient with the longer handle.
  3. hark

hark Junior Member

Are you cleaning the cars off per contractual obligation, or just being a nice guy? I wouldn't do it. That seems like a huge liability. I am not a lawyer, so I don't know, but it seems like a headache in the waiting.

I can't think of anyone who cleans snow off of a car in a lot or driveway that they are clearing the snow from. That is always left to the owner of the vehicle to take care of.
  4. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have been getting away from cleaning cars. I will still do it for some elderly women that would extremely hard for them to do and to leave their DW clean so they do not slip and fall.

Though I use a car washing brush, the kind with a long handle, soft bristles, that a hose can be attached to, with a rubber squeegee edge to prevent scratches.

However I brush, never scrape too prevent accidental scratches. I tell the people that the frozen layer left will melt off pretty quick, not worth the risk scratching the car.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If they want me to plow up the now from their cars they better get out there and sweep it off before I show up.

We never have and never will stop to clear snow off of vehicles
  6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Nope Never.
    Some nut cases see the plow within feet of their beat up, I mean, super fancy car and they blame the plower for damage. We stay 3' from a car on all sides. Once they leave we will either come back once to clean a spot for charge or contract. We will never force a plow into a single spot unless it's on a tiny jeep and easy to maneuver. Just not worth it.

How do you have time to get out of your truck to broom cars off? or are you just advertising this product :confused:
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We used these when I worked for a state facility, we had to clean off all the cop cars and with a long broom handle we could reach everything without getting covered in snow. I've been looking for these locally but haven't found them yet, getting tired of cleaning off 3 trucks with a standard snow brush and getting soaked or having to open the doors to reach the top if the cab and light bar and the interior getting soaked. One thing, these don't like ice, it tends to chew them right up.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

This sounds more like an infomercial than an actual plow guy posting aboot an awesome new product.

I've had these for over 5 years, not sure where you've been.

I smell a locked or deleted thread in 3...2....1
  9. snow2345ffs

snow2345ffs Junior Member

true, if the snow comes off and there's that ice layer under it, I leave it. It melts off in NJ pretty soon. I just clean the cars to be nice yeah. I have to work something out where either if you okay it or not then it gets done. otherwise I'm not touching it. But leaving the car full of snow and then the DW gets covered again after cleaned could piss some people off enough to examine their car and find scratches you didn't even do.

forgot to mention, the leaf blower thick doesn't work %85 of the time for me. If it's a bit wet and over a few inches, it doesn't budge. I don't have the strongest blower but I have almost the strongest backpack blowers and they do nothing. I have a add on for my Husqvarna blower though come to think of it, it funnels the tip down to concentrate the air to much higher MPH maybe would work but I'm not hopeful.
  10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

We only plow spots that have 2 spaces in between cars. And we definetly never touch someones car ever. We will wait for people to move or come back to clean up after the storm
  11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Dude it ain't that serious
  12. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

My mom used to live in a senior apt. Building. I would swing in, start her car and clear it off, move it out of it's spot and shovel it out, then put the car back

I bet I had 30 people in the building offering to pay me to do theirs.

Decided that the liability was just too high. What if they never serviced the car and the engine seized while I was moving it. Etc.
    Great potential for a side business, shot to crap by our litigious society.
  13. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Got something like this off the tool truck years ago. And here in Jersey, I think everyone cleans their car in the street. :nono:
  14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i do the same...soft car wash brush from the hardware store and a heavy duty 4ft expandable pole