1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scratches on glass

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 05DURAMAX, Jan 5, 2006.

1. 05DURAMAX

05DURAMAX Junior Member

I was washing the truck today and noticed the windshield has some scratches in it. Isnt there something that could take them out? They def are not deep, I cant even feel them. Any ideas?

2. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

You can buy stuff called cerium oxide , it's a powder, just add a little water and use a smooth buffer pad not wool or foam it is a tight wound cotton hard packed into a round pad,and it may work or try toothpaste..it has worked in a jam.but usually if u can feel them they cant be buffed, as alot of people think they can rub them out but heat up the glass and distort the glass. Im an auto glass installer and buffed out a few thousand shields.:cry:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  3. 05DURAMAX

05DURAMAX Junior Member

Thanks a lot...I dont think they are too bad, so Ill give it a shot.

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Well, while we are on this subject: I had my truck for two weaks and a rock got tossed back to me from a dump truck. Left a good knick on the passenger side of the windshield. Nothing bad. No cracks (yet) and no leaks. Just a visual pain. What would you recommend for that?

5. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

You may be able to just repair it But not yourself.dont think they sell a kit single, kits are like hundreds.. There are guys that do just that all day. If you have full coverage just have it replaced..

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Wasn't planning on doing it myself. I would end up with more of a mess than before. Glass and I do not get along. I'll check with some of the local shops. Thanks for the advice!:waving:

7. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Check with your insurance co. Mine will pay to have chips repaired.