1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scraping with my new 8 WesternPro

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowKid150, Dec 9, 2003.

1. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Yo guys. I live in S.E. PA and i just plowed for the first time since i got my NEW plow. The new plow is a Western Pro 8 foot with ultramount. My question for you guys is , is there any way to make the plow scrape better than how it's doing now? I have the shoes off and i hold the controller in until the float light comes on, but it still dosnt seem to be resting its full weight all the way accross on the groud. It has the pivoting ability which i thought would have made it even better. Any input will be appreciatted. Ps. The plow scrapes well, but always rides over the ice, and backdragging with it dosnt clean as i expected it to.

Kevpayup

2. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

Ice is always a problem with any general service plow. If it scrapes to bare ground with snow and softer ice thats the best your going to do.

I just used my new western pro for the first time and found it to be a good plower. The backdragging ability was about average for it's weight class. You might want to add the Western backdrag blade. It's now available for the entire pro series with steel blades

I have no experience with the BD blade I decided to go with a pull plow

Last edited: Dec 9, 2003
  3. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

ok thanks, thats nasically what i thought too, but i was curious to see if there would be anything to ajust with the chains or anything of that sort. Thanks.

4. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Is it not cleaning right when it is straight or at an angle?

5. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

well, both. Most of my backdragging must be done at an angle and that right there accounts for some of the problem, but other times, i will just drive straight into the drive, fully down, and it cleans ok, but not great.

Note: My plow is brand new and is just starting to develop an angle on the cutter edge. When this angle is fully developed will it scrape better because it will be sharper, thinner and sit flush to the ground?

6. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Check to make sure you have enough slack in the chains. Also is your truck lifted? If so and your cradle is not at the proper height to the ground it WILL throw off the geometry and this won't let the plows cutting edge sit flat.