1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scraping W/Boss & Blizzard

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northernsweeper, Jan 23, 2009.

1. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

ussmileyflag First off..Hi all..I hope everyone is having a great season! Here is the question..I run a couple boss plows, 2-rt2 and 1-rt3 and a blizzard 810. All had new cutting edges this fall. The blizzard is scraping much better than the v plows. Does anyone run both types of plows and is this true for you? Is it just true in general, that a straight blade will scrape better than the v plow? It cleans much better than any of my boss plows, including a brand new one. What do you all think?

97 f350 7.3ps 9'2" boss V
    97 f350 460 8'2" boss V
    97 k3500 454 9'2" boss V
    93 k3500 6.5 TD blizzard 810
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I have a 7'6" Boss V, and an 810 also, the 810 scraps much better then the V. I believe it is the extra 300 lbs on the blade.
  3. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

My Boss V with Boss wings seems to scrape better than the 4 Hiniker straight blades I have without their pro wings on. Sometimes I wonder if certain blades work better on certain trucks? I think that has more to do with it than the brand?
  4. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

As long as the blades are properly mounted and level with the playing surface , your good .

No difference in cleaning as far as Im concerned .
  5. 4Seasonsmgt

4Seasonsmgt Junior Member

My fisher v plow does not scarpe half as good as my blizzard does, i feel it is the weight reason for sure. The blizzard works the best without any angle to it.
  6. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

All the boss plows are properly mounted. I even increased the angle on one of them to see if that helped. It really didn't..I am inclined to agree with the extra weight at the end of the blizzard compared to the v's may make the difference, but could it have something to do with the attack angle of the cutting edge on the blizzard?
  7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a Boss 9.2 V and a Blizzard 810, 8611 and I dont really see any difference in scraping down to bare pavement in any of them. A Boss 9.2 is only about 100 pounds lighter than the 810.
  8. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

You nailed it! It's not just the weight but the attack angle of the Blizzard that really makes the difference.
  9. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

depending on precip type Im assuming fluff vs. wet pack